1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction control activating after pothole

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ari14850, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok, here's a new one for my 07 with 1200 miles on it.

Today I made a right hand 90 degree turn from a stop sign at the top of a hill, onto another hill. As I was accelerating, I hit a pothole on the right hand front tire that really shook the car up. The traction control light went on and it lost power for a second, then recovered.

But then, it went into a cycle of no power to wheels (light on), then power (light off) and so on for about 30 seconds. In a normal car, it would have been like the fuel pump was failing. But the traciton light went off each time, so I'm pretty sure it was related. It resolved itself after around 30 seconds.

Any explanations for why a pothole bump would cause this kind of behavior? The car has stability control also if that might make a difference (in terms of the light going on)?

2. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ari14850 @ Mar 22 2007, 07:50 AM) [snapback]410094[/snapback]</div>
    My car does the same thing, I would say its because the wheel that went into the pothole either spun slower or faster for that short time and maybe there was a little gravel just after the hole that caused the tire to lose traction.

were you still accelerating after the hole?

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

What happened to you is normal, except for the 30 second part of the story.

4. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Mar 22 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]410122[/snapback]</div>
    yes, I was still trying to accelerate after the hole (since the car is still trying to climb a hill)

the road may have been a bit wet (it wasn't raining at the time). I have snow tires. there could have been some gravel (since it's in a construction area).

is there a better way to deal with this other than flooring it?

5. adamwmcanally

adamwmcanally New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ari14850 @ Mar 23 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]410784[/snapback]</div>
    Happens to me, but not for thirty seconds. When I have to step on it to get out on a busy road (accelerating quickly while doing a 90 degree turn) TC almost always kicks in, giving my heart a bump, hoping that big suv that was barrelling down on me dosn't smack my rear.

The Thirty second deal was probably due to the wet road, and the incline...combined with your rate of accelleration. I'd keep an eye on it, but I think you should be okay.