1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Control Light on permanently after repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jared Grestoni, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Jared Grestoni

Jared Grestoni New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Recently posted this in the newbie section on accident. I think this is the correct place to post.

I was recently in an accident and had to get my Prius repaired at an auto body shop. I know they did something to the steering column. Everything is fine, except the traction control light is now on permanently. I brought into Toyota to try and fix and they said the spiral cable needed to be replaced because a sensor was likely malfunctioning and that it would cost $1,000 dollars. That seems pretty steep to me. Does anyone know a cheaper way to fix this problem? Toyota realigned the steering rack because the previous repair shop didn’t do it properly. They said that might fix the problem, but it didn’t. Now they say I have to pay another $1,000 to replace the spiral cable. It really sucks. Would really like my traction control system to work again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would attach a copy of the invoice but the forum won’t let me for some reason. Apparently error code C1231 is coming up with a health check.

Is it possible to replace the spiral cable on my own? Found it for around $200 online. I don’t understand why they would charge $1,000 unless the labor was really intense.