1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction control on Gen 1 Prius?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by fthorn, Dec 20, 2008.

1. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First time with my new/used Prius 2001 in the snow.
    Did the 2001s have traction control; standard or optional?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Classic model (01-03) has traction-control standard, though you won't trigger it that often. Mine rarely demonstrated that ability during the 3 winters I drove one.

The Iconic model (04-09) has it too, but the behavior is quite different... especially in the oldest ones.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    my 2001 experience. If you try to climb too much hill on snow, the TC system will basically pulse power to the drive wheels. Speedometer reading jumps from 0 to 30 while the car is climbing at a steady 3 mph. You will either get to the top, or not.

I would no doubt have done that hill better with snow tires.

One of the MG (MG1 I guess) is the main thing being protected by the system. It might be asked to rotate too fast in the negative direction. If this technical explanation is wrong, somebody will hop in. this is PC after all.

4. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That explains the behavior that I see. That is, it puts power to left, then right, then left, etc. until it gets going. But, that seems kind of a remedial approach. But I'm not complaining. I've never had a car with (any other) kind of traction control, so this will do.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The side-side approach beats what I've see countless times every day here lately. It's amazing how many people just agressively spin their tires to gain forward motion on a slippery surface. The leave ice behind for the poor souls that follow. It's ages the tires faster too.

6. Shubin Andrey

Shubin Andrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    russia. winter. very very cold. snow and ice on the road. am i right that TC is working each time when i start moving very agressively, and see how the car is trying to decrease speed in order to start moving ?

7. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    youll feel it and hear it when the traction function activates, the hybrid system will pulse.