1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Control

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by longshot, Aug 5, 2013.

1. longshot

longshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2013 Prius is there any way to disable the traction control. Trying the push start button 2 times and push gas pedal 2 times etc. method wont work on this year.

2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Do a search for Test Mode. It's just a chicken dance on the pedals and switches.
    It's for emission testing on a dyno.
    No cruise control, a big pop up blocking the display, no stability control.
    But if you hate your tires and want to have fun, go for it!! I use it all the time at the auto-crosses!! (Not really)
    It goes to normal at power cycle.

longshot likes this.
  3. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And another thing. The Gen II Priuses did have troubles on snow and ice where it didn't take much for them to get stuck. You'd be in semi-deep snow; the wheel would start to skid as you'd try to get out of there; the traction control would turn off power to the wheels; the wheels wouldn't spin. Tow truck time and Very Irritating.

On Gen III Pruises the software appears to have been tweaked. One can skiz the tires a bit, although not as much as our motocross friend above would like. I, personally, haven't felt like I've been close to getting stuck, ever, since getting the 2010 I'm using, and that includes dashing around in 4-5" of snow while training my daughter on how to do skids. (Not much luck, the car works hard to prevent skidding around.) YMMV and all that.

KBeck

longshot likes this.
  4. longshot

longshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just tested this on my 2013 Prius 2 and the traction control light stayed on and on the screen said "Maintenance mode"

These steps must be completed within 60 seconds.

To disable traction control on the prius:
    1) Turn the car to ignition by pressing START twice without pressing the brake.
    2) Floor the gas pedal two times (two full top to bottom pressings)
    3) Make sure the parking brake is on, and while pressing the brake pedal put the car into NEUTRAL(How to put it in Neutral IG on/RDY off, just depress and hold brakepedal, then move shifter to N for a couple of seconds). The park will disengage and on the screen it tells you.

4) Again press the gas pedal two times
    5) Push PARK and press the gas pedal two more times
    6) Now put your foot on the BRAKE and press START one time while holding the brake down.

Also set your emergency brake before you start this procedure. :)

SPH-L710 ? 2

5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, longshot.

I have two further questions...

- To resume normal operation mode all we have to do is switch off the car, and then star over as prompt?
    - What do you mean "set your emergency brake"...?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Isn't it also possible to break something in this test mode? Forget what, maybe over-revving something in the transaxle. Bottom line, it's not intended as a normal driving mode.

7. longshot

longshot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Set your emergency brake just to be on the safe side. Yes once u shut off the car and restart it goes back to norm.

cm_tenderloin ?