1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traction Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kevin54, Apr 5, 2005.

1. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello,

I'm waiting for my Prius w/ package #4 to tentatively arrive mid April here in PA.! My one concern is that from what I've read in these forums, there is no temporary manual override/disablement of the Traction Control. Is this really true? Every car I've seen with it has the disablement feature. I realize some have said Toyota left this out to protect the electric motor, but couldn't they have 'enabled' the gas engine if the 'disablement' of the traction control was selected?
    This is the one thing bothering me, and I'm actually re-considering this purchase if this is really the case. Don't feel like being stranded on a slightly icy moderate incline. Also, others have suggested a second set of tires, although that seems rather absurd considering everything.
    Is this REALLY true?
    Regards,
    Kevin

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, unless you get snow for 3 days a year like I do, there's nothing wrong with a set of winter tyres. Do a search on traction control and winter tyres as there's a fairly recent thread on this from another person from PA.

3. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Well we certainly get more than 3 days of snow here in PA. I also realize I COULD get snows for the car as a semi-acceptable work-around, but the absurdity I find in this is I haven't had separate snow tires for ANY car in the last 20 years, even in worse conditions than PA.
    Why does Toyota put such cheap (lousy) tires on this great car? At least, that's the impression I'm getting from this and other forums.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

4. bobc

bobc New Member

You can actually disable traction control.

Danman posted how to do this. It's called 'Inspection Mode.' I needed to try it out last month...

Addendum: I found that if the ICE was running, I couldn't get it to go into inspection mode.

-bob

5. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the info. I'll try and do a 'search' for this when I get home. Was this complicated? Any idea when Danman posted this info? I think he's got a lot of postings out there.
    Regards,
    Kevin

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have discovered a simpler method to disable VSC by grounding a pin on the DLCIII. This may also disable TC.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't see anything "absurd" about running winter tires in winter conditions.

When I used to live in Utah I ran dedicated studded snow tires on steel rims. Indeed, if there was snow and you wanted to get to a mountainous area, the Highway Patrol would turn you around if you didn't have approved snow tires on.

Once you compare the traction difference between "all season" tires and dedicated winter tires, you'll never go back. IMHO the "all season" tire should be renamed the "three season" tire.

With just about every car and pickup truck I have ever owned, I have had dedicated winter tires for it. I refuse to put my life in danger driving on slippery road surfaces with skimpy all-season tires.

My Dunlop Graspic DS-2 tires have already saved my a** a few times this winter. In one case, I was able to accelerate out of the way when it became obvious that a 4x4 behind me would not be able to stop at the red light. He slid right through the intersection too, he would have flattened me if I hadn't accelerated out of the way.

Another time I was able to stand on the brakes and quickly stop when an a** hole in an SUV went through a red light. So I'd never go back to "all season" tires in winter.

Every car benefits from winter tires in winter road conditions. Due to the aggressive and sensitive Traction Control, the Prius more so. Once I put on the Dunlop Graspic DS-2 winter tires, I ceased to worry about the standard Traction Control.

However, even up here, winter doesn't last all year round. At the most 4-5 months. Then the rest of the year you run the all season tires and easily get twice the fuel economy of virtually every other car around you.

8. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"79024)</div>
    I also have snow tires and on all four wheels. They make a world of difference in maintaining traction and increasing safety. Around here if you're in an accident while snow is on the roadway and and you're without snows, you're assigned a larger share of the blame and assessed more in damages.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Trac will also kick in with the ICE running.

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Cool beans! An easy "pushbutton"-style VSC/TC disable would be handy. Let us know if that works! I imagine it will set a DTC, so the dealer may wonder if he scans it later...