1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

traction slip warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by olddogrib, Apr 14, 2015.

1. olddogrib

olddogrib Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2007 with 95K, never had brake pads...at 90K they said it was fine. Lately on wet road when I brake it will momentarily flash the dashboard traction warning. Is this a sign I'm finally needing a brake job or maybe a suspension shock strut/issue. It's usually accompanied by a very brief feel of acceleration, but more like a "slippage" in the engine braking than true tire slippage. thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how are your tyres?

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    tires. I have the suck integritys and they slip all the time. if I wasn't such a cheap sob I'd have replaced them when I bought the car. buy some Michelin 205/60r15's and your problem will be solved.

4. olddogrib

olddogrib Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tires are a couple tears old but fine, that's why I don't think it's actually skidding.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any particular speed when it happens?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the brand/model of the tires, and what is the tire tread depth?
    What tire inflation pressure do you use?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had traction control kicking in like crazy on a Civic with rear drums. The dealership had just bled the brakes, and handed it back with one of the rear drum brakes completely gone, no braking action. Do you feel any side-to-side rocking as you come to a stop, and find you're overshooting where you intended to stop, say the broad white line at a stop?

Just a thought. ;)

8. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree with tires. It also happens when braking while going over bumps. It's the result of the ABS system detecting a tiny bit of front tire slip or hop, kicking out the regenerative braking and activating the wheel brakes, with anti-lock modulation as needed. There's a very slight delay between the two that can be perceived as momentary acceleration. The initial tire slip is often too little for human detection. Tires with better wet-surface adhesion will almost certainly reduce the ABS activation. Or, brake more lightly to prevent the system from activating.

#8 tanglefoot, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015