1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trade in for a Nissan Leaf or stick with my Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by somebody7, Feb 7, 2013.

1. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been contemplating trading in my 2012 Prius TSS for a 2011 Nissan Leaf SL. I travel to work about 22 miles each way, so about 44 miles per day. This is pretty much the only time I use my car. Do you think I should trade it in? Any of you all have a Leaf and would like to dissuade me (or persuade me) to trade it in? Monetarily, I would come out on top with the Leaf because a used Leaf is a lot cheaper for some reason than a used Prius. I know appearance wise, the Leaf is pretty ugly, but I can get over that by putting some aftermarket rims or something to make it look a little more decent. Thoughts?

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You'll probably never save as much money on gas as you will lose swapping one car for another. Among the cars that meet your needs, get the car you want and stick with it.

JMD likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In your situation, the next time I needed a car I would get a Leaf.

4. Golffor1

Golffor1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't ever driven the leaf but I did notice this on the maxima that I drove at one time. Nissan's come with 3 catalytic converter, I know you are thinking...man 3 those don't ever go out. Well I had one go out at 79K miles and the national warranty covered it 80K miles. Well the 2nd one went out at like 83K miles, that is is 1500 dollars. Also they come with 3 oxygen sensors...according to a toyota dealer. I have driven Toyota's since the nissan was traded in.

5. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Since the Leaf has no engine, I am betting they have no catalytic converters and no oxygen sensor. Hey, I could be wrong!

F8L, sdtundra and Jzerocsk like this.
  6. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. I think you're correct, Jimbo, I wouldn't think it has catalytic converters since it has no exhaust.

7. JPP

JPP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think the leaf is cool(I like how it looks personally) and might buy one myself next time. I go back and forth on it all the time, here are my thoughts.

1-The cost of installing a high powered charger and the price of electricity, probably does not save you any money. (unless you have solar panels)

2-I could go with it as a main car, but would probably need to rent a car for my few longer trips a year.

3-I have a similar distance commute so a volt might be in my future, plus it would eliminate reason #2. I would have to use gas for a few miles on the return trip home. No charging at work.

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Everyone is pointing out costs differentials in the swap. I'd be more concerned with your own feelings of unrest. You just bought a 2012. A year later, you're thinking you want something else? Chances are pretty good you'll want another car next year. I suggest before you go any deeper on thinking if the Leaf is the right car is why you are changing your mind so quickly. If the car previous to the 2012 Prius was owned less than 2 years, that's a warning sign that you won't be happy with the Leaf for long either.

Another member here, F8L, could probably give you more insights. He switched from a 2012 Prius to a better 2012 Prius... somewhat to his detriment. I suggest you read his posts.

PS There's also the woman who went from a Lamborghini to a Prius and hated it. Prius Chat is an awesome tool for learning from someone else's mistake. Don't take it for granted.

OceanEyes and JMD like this.
  9. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Realize that you will never recover the cost of your mods. I would stick with the Prius.

10. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually read a lot of F8L's posts and I know he went from a regular Prius to a plug-in. I don't think I would go that route since I don't see a lot of benefit going that route (for myself) since I don't have a place to plug it in at work. A Volt wouldn't work for me either since its only seats 4 and there are 5 in my family. I had my previous car for about 10 years so this is a first for me on wanting to change cars. I only got rid of it to give it to a family member that needed a car.
    I think you're right though on figuring out why I'm thinking about changing. I think part of that is that I didn't care about my previous car. I just cared that it worked and got me from A to B. I think now I freak out more if I see a scratch on my paint or if my pants make a mark on the leather seats. Not sure if that makes any sense.

11. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, and I'm fine with that. I figure I can hopefully get at least 60-75% of what I paid for them. I'm sure I can place all my stock items back (I kept everything) and sell everything here or on ebay (I have 380 positive feedback).

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When hurricane Sandy hit here last October- I suddenly started seeing a Leaf at the only public charging station in town every morning for over a week straight. I struck up a conversation with it's owner- He got there at 5:30am every morning cause the power to his block was out for over a week and that was his only option to charge his car. I couldn't imaging sitting in the car for 3-4+ hrs just for a recharge. What a waste of time....

When he asked me about the PIP- I mentioned it's gas and or electric. He thought that was an outstanding idea.
    Guess some Leaf drivers count on always having electricity available for a recharge :(

OceanEyes likes this.
  13. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good point. Although I'm sure there is always a chance for that to happen, I haven't ever been out of power for more than a couple of hours. I can always take my wife's vehicle in case something like that does happen. But you did bring up something I hadn't even considered.

14. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. I've decided to keep my Prius. I was kind of dead set on getting a Leaf when I posted this. Now I think I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with my Prius.

F8L, OceanEyes, mmmodem and 1 other person like this.
  15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just like all those people waiting in line for hours to get petrol eh? :)

OceanEyes likes this.
  16. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would hate to re live the 70's but I suppose it could happen. However, I haven't waited in line for gas since then. Have you?

OceanEyes likes this.
  17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  18. HLF-DZN

HLF-DZN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

That's funny. My first reaction, too, was "who waits in line for gas?" Until I put the comment in context.

19. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think you need to pencil it out.

My 2012 Prius IV dropped $6,000 in value when I signed the sales contract and another 3K I paid in sales tax put's me 9K down or negative equity minus my down payment. You need to figure out each year what you car's worth to sell and what your loan balance is and then decide to pull the trigger or delay. In 6 Years when the car is paid in full from TFS I'll have about 10K in equity than I roll that into a new purchase. Anything before that may have some equity or negative equity the first 3 years.

So have 2 columns.
    A = Car's Value
    B = Loan balance
    C= (B-A) Owners Equity

I can guess you probaly have negative Owners Equity which makes selling the car a fools paradise. car sales people have a saying. "A fool and his money is soon parted" they prey on fools.

somebody7 likes this.
  20. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh Yeah, when you go through this exercise the Sales Rep may say , that's Ok just roll it over into the next purchase. That build's up more negative equity. So you will be more upside down. Just saying ignore the gas versus electric savings since it will be a few dollars a month, almost impossible to overcome negative equity with the gas savings when you go from a Prius which is effficient to a Leaf .