1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trade Prius for Avalon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Taylor, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

I got to wondering if I would be happier with the Avalon rather than my Prius since I based my selection decision based upon riding for three days in my brothers Prius last year. So I went to the sole local Toyota dealer and test drove an Avalon. I asked to drive one that had a tire upgrade, since I had vastly better tires put onto my Prius, I wanted to know how a tire upgraded Avalon would compare.

There was an Avalon that came in with the NAV system, but it sold in one day I was told, so there were no comparable Avalon's to my Prius on the lot. I got into a "Limited" and the first thing I note is that the headroom is quite limited indeed, my head is brushing the headliner! The salesman explained that my Prius has more headroom, and that the "Limited" comes only with some moonroof which removes over two inches of headroom from the car. After reclining the seat to a degree of unusual discomfort so as to accommodate my head, we go for a drive. The salesman suggests a short trip around the block, but I head for a nearby short stretch of in city interstate where the speed limit is 70. Well before I get there though, the vibration of the car is readily apparent. "I do not think these tires are round" says I. At speed on the interstate, the constant vibration of dash, etc. shows that, yes, these are expensive and out of round tires. So much for the upgrade, it is obviously money thrown away. (note: get Comfortred from Goodyear for best ride in a Prius)

The engine is responsive, to say the least. The car leaps forward with the merest touch of the accelerator. The salesman keeps referring to the incredible amount of horsepower of the engine, a mantra repeated again and again. I was thinking of possibly trading for more comfort, less noise, but driving a car with several orders of magnitude in horsepower more than I will ever need did not occur to me as a reason to buy. I got the distinct impression that the sales training for this car is oriented around selling the engine HP, not comfort or quiet or technology. It is a sales pitch oriented around 1.40 per gallon of gas so you can blow the SUV's in the stoplight to stoplight race. The sales pitch does not seem geared for present day reality, but I digress.

Considering that my present vehicle seats five, and so does this one, what does less than half the fuel economy really get me? Supposedly there is three inches of more hiproom, but the seats themselves are the same size in the front as my Prius, but there is some more room between the seat and the car door. The headrest is at an unusual angle it seems, I am holding my head off of it to see, well, its the reclining position, there just isn't a comfortable upright position for a guy a little over six feet in this "Limited" version.

The car has the same wind noise as the Prius, more on the right side than the drivers side at speed. I think now that it is the similar positions of the wipers on each car. The passenger side wiper blade just sits up higher on each vehicle, and I can hear the noise of the wind on each one more as a result.

The panel lights were a bewildering array of colors and the yesteryear styled display required a degree of angle of lookdown from the road than what I have grown used to. Oddly enough, the armrest, while wider, is further back and is not as comfortable as mine in the Prius. Its pretty well engineered to provide a spot of support, nothing to rest the forearm on. It slides, and has to be retracted all the way to access an area that seems oddly configured compared to the double row of CD's I have in my Prius.

A short rundown at the end of this experience, it rode worse than my car, is no quieter than my car, gulps more than twice as much fuel, is vastly more cramped in headroom, seats are of the same size, but there is a bit more legroom, but the steering wheel is an acre away. And the car is yesterdays technology. No smartkey, the engine runs all the time, giving a background noise level that is never reduced in traffic, displays that look like something from the early 80's in style and the soundsystem is no better at all, perhaps worse. The trunk space itself is large however, but since I have carted items by laying down the back seat in my Prius, I have carried cargo that this car cannot.

I told him I would not trade if they paid me to take it. After three weeks of reflection, that judgement still stands.

He did say that the present Avalon is the same basic car as the Luxus 430 in the main. And I have been noticing that the Luxus 430 drivers in traffic are sitting lower than me. Yes, these two models are larger on the outside, but not where it counts on the inside.

There is NOTHING sold today that I would trade my Prius for. After 8300 miles, it is still continued motoring enjoyment, much more so than anything else I have ever had.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the salesman(or at least the dealer) was more dissapointed in not taking your Prius in Trade then selling you a Avalon LOL.

3. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Yup, they get 3,500 over invoice when they have a Prius in stock.

The guy did say that my Salsa '05 would look great on their lot.

The Avalon was a real letdown though, if it had been up to my pre drive expectations...well it isn't.

There are some good reasons why Prius owners are so satisfied with their vehicles (check Consumer Reports)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Avalon Limited does have SKS though. I found the headroom be ok (I'm at 6) but I'm guessing you're a bit taller than I am. Yes, looking down towards the gauges is a bit annoying :p. The steering wheel does adjust for reach as well as height so unless the telescoping function is that bad that it does pull out far enough. Nonetheless, an interesting report.

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Trade Prius for Camry??

I rode in my sister's 2004 Camry, which is probably a bit closer to the Prius in size, etc. I didn't drive her car, however, so I can't speak to the driving characteristics. I liked her car well enough, but it was, well, boring. Toyota has a nice fit and finish to their cars, and the Camry is well put together; well deserving of its high consumer ratings. Nonetheless, compared to my Prius spaceship, the Camry felt more like my grandmother's car.
    And, of course, my sister gets 32mpg on the freeway on a good day, and my Prius gets better than 50. The Camry is wider, especially in back, and could more comfortably fit five, but the Prius has amazing back seat legroom; better than any car I've been in since the 50's 4-door sedans of my childhood.....then again, in childhood I was substantially smaller so the cars may in my memory, seem larger than they actually were.
    Nope, I wouldn't trade my Prius. My only other choice would be a Jetta TDI running on biodiesel, but VW has such a lousy reliability record that I would hesistate to plunk down 24k for one.
    Bob.

6. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get a Lexus ES330. :mrgreen:

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :D

Just wait for the new ES next year.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Around a month ago I had my Prius at the dealer for an oil change and to fix the door dings that had accumulated over winter.

They gave me a ride to work in a 2005 Avalon XLS with Package C, which was a demonstrator. Those optional tires give the car a rock hard ride.

With the sunroof I also found my head brushing the headliner. After work they picked me up in the same Avalon, and it was a relief getting into my Prius.

If you want a luxury car with great ride, look at a lease return Lincoln. The Lincoln dealers here have 2004 Lincoln Town Car Ultimate with 16,000-20,000 km's for $40,000 Cdn. I've heard that from my Mom, the folks are thinking of getting rid of their LeSabre.

Nice cars, but horrific depreciation!

9. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the Avalon, but can easily wait untill it get's its turn at the hybrid trough.

10. tcooper185

tcooper185 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta tell ya', I was worried you'd be leaving the PriusChat ranks when I read the title of this thread...glad you're not leaving us, Robert!

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert Taylor\";p=\"80474)</div>
    Robert:

That sales creature is full of it. I'm glad I reread your post.

The Lexus LS430 is a RWD luxury car with a V8 motor. Think Lincoln Town Car without the body on frame construction. It's very expensive (+$100,00 here in Canada) and very high quality.

The 2005 Avalon is a FWD car with a V6, it has a lot of parts in common with the Camry and the Lexus ES, which is also a FWD. The previous Avalon was made in Japan and the 2005 appears to be made in Kentucky.

I'm still clueless over this emphasis on rock-hard ride quality. The older Avalon had a nice gentle ride over bumpy pavement and secondary roads. I rode in a 2004 Lexus LS and with the optional air suspension you don't even feel bumps.

I just don't understand tires/suspension that allow you to feel whenever you run over a wet cigarette butt on the road.

Jay

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"95735)</div>
    The Kentucky is the only Toyota plant in which the Avalon has ever been manufactured.

"Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc., is the sole worldwide producer of Toyota's flagship sedan, the Avalon. Produced since September 1994, this full-sized sedan is noted for its excellent performance, luxury styling, efficiency and value."

AVALON Our Flagship Sedan

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"95795)</div>
    Figures.

I got that quote from one of the sales creatures after I had been given a ride back to the dealer in their 2005 Avalon demonstrator.

All I had to check was the door jamb on the car, and sure enough Made In Kentucky.

You'd think by now I would automatically refuse to believe anything out of a sales creature.