1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trading in yaris

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by p123456789, Jul 4, 2011.

1. p123456789

p123456789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I are thinking about trading in our yaris and the only car we can decide on is a prius lol. We have a baby on the way and to be honest with you I don't feel safe putting my kid in the back of a hatchback yaris so its time for a larger car. I'm looking at a gen 2 with around 100k miles I do ALOT of driving roughly 30k a year so I need something reliable, Thanks for the help in advance.

1. What are the normal failures to expect on a 100k prius
    2. what should I look out for during inspection.
    3. is an extended warranty worth it and which one do you recommend
    4. is there a particular year of the gen 2 that is better
    5. i heard some people have reported burning oil is this true
    6. which years/packages had hid lights.

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: purchasing yaris

Stick with 06 and newer, the lower number packages don't have HID lights.;)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Touring models (those with the 16" alloys) also have HIDs as standard I believe.

I would say 2007 and up since that's when side airbags and side curtain airbags were made standard across the board. However, a vehicle with HIDs probably has the airbags included in the package, anyway.

3-dr Smart Key would definitely be useful (as opposed to just regular remote keyless entry).

I think the TSBs were limited to the 2004 and 2005 model years but double check online to see if there are any TSBs for the later year and ensure that those have been done (the only thing I can think of is the shortening of the accelerator pedal thanks to the fiasco last year).

I would check the 12V battery. It's about $200 to replace and a 2006 would mean the battery is coming up to 5 years. The 12V is needed to start the computers and sometimes it can generate weird codes that make it appear that the Prius is in trouble but it's just a weak 12V battery.

Haven't heard anything about burning oil. It's the same engine as your Yaris (1NZ-FE 1.5 litre DOHC VVT-i inline 4), just tuned to run the Atkinson cycle instead of the Otto.

4. p123456789

p123456789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

thanks for the help guys, is there a website where i can enter the vin to see the option list of a car? Hids and side curtains would be very nice.

5. p123456789

p123456789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm a technician at a vw dealer so I would like to do all the work myself the only thing that is new to me is the hybrid system, I'm sure I'm going to get burned for not buying another tdi.

1 person likes this.
  6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I wouldn't be afraid of a late year 2005. Mine has been ultra reliable with no big repairs. The HIDs on the 2004-2005 do not have the issues that are common on the 2006+.

The 2004-2005 have a different dash color and texture than the 2006+. The lower dash and door tops are painted with a weird peral black paint. The newer models have a textured black plastic which I don't particularly care for but some don't like my painted dash so......

If you go with an earlier model be sure to check the package (my package did) and ensure it has side curtain and rear airbags. I would never buy a car without them and the Prius had a pretty bad crash rating for the models without them. :(

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

just as reference, in 04, 05 only the package 9 with the navigation had HID lights. (if memory recalls right) this also included fog lights, side impact, vehicle skid control, bluetooth, and 9 speaker jbl audio.

05 and 05 did not have backup cameras or tire pressure monitors. they also have a different ( i say better, others say lower resolution) screen. also, they have a tape deck instead of 3.5mm aux in. 06+ all has the aux in without a tape deck. (maybe lower packages still had it? i don't remember)

1. normal failures?... spark plugs should be replaced, air filters should be replaced, all the normal things checked. the transaxle fluid should be changed.

2. partly covered in 1. look out for bad 12v battery. look out for worn brakes. this could also include grooves, if your brakes are making grooves, they should be changed, regardless of brake life left.

3. i don't care for them.. that's usually only my opinion. i see a lot of items go on sale for really cheap prices that make me wonder why i would ever spend the extra money on extended warranties. (i'm past all warranty periods... extended doesn't cover this ground, and i would have wasted the money purchasing it)

4. my genII can use a backup camera... but i would have to install it... i wish i had the 3.5mm jack in my car.. but i don't. (in the end aftermarket is the way to go anyway)... side not aside, maybe the 06+ would be better. a tiny bit more function and better base options.

5. i tow and run extended oil changes.. i have yet to change my pcv valve too... i burn oil. about a quart every 8k miles or so... granted i shouldn't be running it that long anyway. i carry oil around with me and top it off anytime i start to hear the engine.. it's usually lower on the dipstick then, which equals half a quart or so.

6. covered in 1... i'm not sure 06 through 09... i know the touring had them as someone mentioned above (apologies for not scrolling up)... general rule is: if it has navigation, it has HID's... in 06 through 09 there were only 5 or 6 packages... they tossed a few out

1 person likes this.
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The package #4 had HIDs and foglights as well as all of the airbags, Vehicle Stability Control.. :) Just no Nav or the JBL system. :)

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  10. p123456789

p123456789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

So if I go and test drive a prius how do I tell if the hv battery needs to be replaced?

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

From a test drive only, short of any warning lights or some telltale signs, there's not an easy way to tell, esp. if you have no "normal" Prius to compare to.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...5-prius-gen2-traction-battery-experience.html was one person's experience. (I'm no expert on this.) Most of the symptoms jdenenberg experienced are the common ones I've heard of. The other is battery fan running a lot and/or at high speed a lot more than normal. The intake vent is next to the passenger side of the back seat.

Side note: I just found http://www.lusciousgarage.com/blog/comments/high_voltage_battery_test/. I don't know anything about this test but Luscious Garage seems to be knowledgeable from their blog entries.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  13. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

The HV batteries are very reliable. It is more common for the 12V battery to have issues. They tend to last about 4 years.

Everyone here has a preference on what they like. The differences between the 04 and 09 are not great. The display has improved resolution from 06 and above. The Smart key feature is nice but in no way affects the performance of the vehicle. Another feature on 06 and above that I beleive is standard is the reverse camera.

Some of the early models did not have VSC. If the icon lights up when you start the vehicle you have it. HID headlamps are nice but not necessary. Side and curtain airbags are also an issue.

Many of the features listed are safety features and those may be more of what concerns you when carrying a small child.

I have had my car since November of 2008. I purchased it with 70K miles and currently have 190K miles. Outside of normal maintenance LOF, tires, wiper blades, etc., I have had no issues except for one. My inverter coolant pump went out the other day. If I had been smart I would have replaced it when I was notified it was a warranty repair.

These cars are reliable and safe. Do have a TCM check out the vehicle. He or she will be able to tell you if all the TSB's and warranty work has been done.

14. p123456789

p123456789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you cwernda its nice to know that the hv battery last ALOT longer than most people think its also nice to know that they sell refurbished packs for 1500. I also tried to changed the posting title after I posted it but it wouldnt let me but thank you for changing it.

15. p123456789

p123456789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I there anyway to determine the package by vin here is the vin of the car I am going to buy JTDKB20UX67079730 . I really want hid's and side curtain airbags not a deal breaker but it would be very nice to have hid's.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't sweat the HIDs. If you find a really nice car that doesn't have them you can always purchase a set of headlight assemblies and have them retrofitted with very high quality projectors that put the OEM HIDs to shame. Big time!

Just factor in about $400 worth of stuff and the fee to have them retrofitted. It's pretty easy and they are way brighter than OEM.

OEM
    [​IMG]

Projector HIDs wall shot
    [​IMG]

Projector HIDs (the white lines on the wall are my projectors and foglights
    [​IMG]

17. p123456789

p123456789 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow those are some bright lights the car I found is 9800 with 115k I feel as though I'm getting a good deal because anything around here is 4-6k higher.

18. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi P123456789. Good luck with your search for a Prius, I'm sure you, your wife and new baby will all love the car.

In answer to your question about determining which package a particular Prius has by the VIN, I believe you cannot tell from the VIN however you can tell the Restraint System configuration by the 7th character in the VIN.

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]Restraint System/Grade: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]Passenger Vehicle:[/FONT][/FONT]
    0 = Manual Belts w/ 2 Airbags, Side Airbags, and Curtain Shield Airbags (Front & Rear Seats)
    2 = Manual Belt w/ 2 Airbags
    6 = Manual Belt w/ 2airbags, side airbags, curtain shield airbags and knee air bags (driver seat)
    7 = Manual belt w/ 2 airbags and knee airbag (driver seat)
    8 = Manual Belt w/ 2 Airbags and Side Airbags

Also in answer to your question about checking the 12 volt battery easily when looking at a Prius, here is a link to the procedure, go to post #18.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-technical-discussion/95785-really-unfixable-2.html
    This is just a quick 'snapshot' view of the 12 volt battery health.

19. Akron1

Akron1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did the same thing almost a year ago. I traded my 09 Yaris for an 07 Prius. It was a great step up. The Yaris was designed to be a really cheap run around car. Not saying it was bad at all but when you get your Prius you'll really feel like you bought a high end car compared to the Yaris. I did not buy the extended warranty but instead took some basic 3 month thing that came with it. I then studied all the info on this site and learned everything I could about the car. One week after I bought it I took it back with a list of TSB's and issues printed directly from this site and had over $5,000 worth of work done at no charge. Since then I have only had one problem, (the speedometer display issue started last night). Granted it still has only been about a year but I love it. The Best advice I could share is; one, go for it, you'll love the car. and two; get to know this site and the wonderful people on it very well, it can save you hours of searching for a problem, teach you things you never would have even considered in your wildest dreams, and the guys here know what they are talking about. I owe many thanks to all of those on this board for all the info I used when I bought the car and for some of the really nice modifications I have found here.
    Good Luck

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is NOT standard on 06s and above. One of my former coworkers bought a VERY stripped down used 07 or 08 and it was so barebones (looked like it was packageless) that it had no SKS, no backup camera, still had the old lower res MFD and no audio input jack. I checked for all of these.

Backup camera just became available on 06 to 09.