1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traffic Congestion Utopia

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by usbseawolf2000, Feb 13, 2007.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check out this 12 mins video of how I averaged 70+ MPG in a stock Prius for more than 30 minutes. I made this video documentation because I was bored. Bored of getting 70+ MPG? As you can see, I got spoiled by my Prius.

In this video, I used the gliding technique and EV button to achieve excellent mileage. You will notice the car going over bumps and lumps (sewage / manhole covers). Just ignore them and they are not as bad as it seems. I was holding the camera and resting my elbow on the center arm rest.

You will find out that I can not multi-task. Holding the camera and monitoring both MFD and camera screens while driving makes my speech... well lets just say it wasn't smooth. I don't suggest anyone to try this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5629875641973044508

Dennis

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty cool. :)

In traffic or anywhere you can maintain speeds of 40mph or lower your avg. milage can jump considerably by playing with pulse and glide techniques.

My house is located right off the freeway and each night when I come home late I play this game to see how far I can coast on the freeway, hit the offramp, take the corner then glide through 2 stoplights and then take the right hand turn to my street then use electric mode to go the 2 small blocks to my house. I think that is one of the most fun aspects of the Prius. Learning efficiency.

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I posted somewhere else about a year ago, Presidents Holiday, we totally "yellowed-out" our screen during the freeway crawl from Las Vegas to LA. It was my wife's second drive in the car. At least the Prius gives another option for in-car entertainment during the freeway crawl.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Feb 13 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]390000[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, you gave priority to driving - good move. :)

Traffic that moves around 40mph is probably going to be good for most other cars, too...

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Mar 2 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]399255[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think so. Gas engine car works the most efficient when the speed is above 45 mph in overdrive. Dropping a gear to accelerate and then slow down below 40 mph will not allow the tranny to go back into overdrive again. This means, the energy will be lost in the transmission fluid in the torque converter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Mar 2 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]399224[/snapback]</div>
    It is an interactive entertainment, sort of like Nintendo Wii. You whole body senses are involved in the whole experience. It is extremely fun and rewarding.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Feb 17 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]392020[/snapback]</div>
    My home is so close to the highway too! Yes, it is fun to know that you will not burn any more gasoline the second you slow down from the highway exit.