1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traffic Jam, Battery Goes South

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PaneInTheGlass, Apr 23, 2007.

1. PaneInTheGlass

PaneInTheGlass New Member

Hi folks, I'm brand new to this forum as is my new Prius, only three days and 300 miles old. I love this new vehicle and the fact that I'm already averaging 45 mpg out of the box.

Quick question: I was in a huge traffic jam on the way home from work this afternoon, it's 85 degrees, and traffic is inching along for more than five miles.

I begin monitoring the battery out of curiosity to see what will happen as I creep along for 45 minutes. The radio is on, the a/c is on (fan cut back to a notch above low speed). The battery level begins to drop from around 75% and continues to drop further around every 10 minures. Seeing this, I cut off all ancillary power, meaning, the radio gets turned off, the a/c is turned off, and the windows opened. Good thing there was no humidity.

Finally, traffic gets moving, but my battery has dropped to 25% (2 notches from the bottom). Is this a normal state for the Prius in traffic jams that are barely moving, or would I have been dead in the water within another 45 minutes?

Your responses are much appreciated. Other than this question, the vehicle has been perfect in all respects, I have package #5.

Thanks, Harv

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if your battery gets low. let's say.. where you were. the engine will kick on to re charge it. at this point you ask yourself the question. save fuel or run the a/c.

I prefer to listen to a good song but at times i would rather just hear the road and other cars.

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

In a way yes it is normal don’t worry about it. I think the lowest the computer will let it get is one bar. I know from experience sitting in heavy traffic 100F+ so the ac was on that the battery stays on the low side. Red bars and the ice will kick in to bring you up to one blue. Once you start driving under normal conditions the ice will charge the battery back to the all blue bars were it likes to hang out.

You do not need to do anything different with the prius; just drive it. I ignore the battery when I am in a tbad traffic-jam as it is pointless just let the computer take care of it and try to relax.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The computer in the Prius is very protective of the battery. The ICE will kick on when needed. BTW, what you see on the MFD isn't the entire SOC, just between 40 to 80%, IIRC.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's accurate, aaf709, the bars on the Energy Monitor display are:

0 bars = 40% charge
    all green bars = 80% charge.

It's also accurate to say that there's nothing wrong with the charge state going up and down. It will drop down if you're creeping along for a while. This is a good thing because you're not using a lot of gas to creep along. I actually really get a kick out of rolling along in stop-and-go traffic with my engine off. You'll learn to love it too!

You can safely ignore the bars... that is until you've read a lot more of PriusChat and decide to try your hand at hypermiling :D

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You may get better performance out of the Air Conditioner if you set a comfortable temp and leave it in auto. The compressor is electric and will run less if it isn't needed, and in Auto mode, the car monitors both interior temperature and humidity to keep you comfortable. When you're jammed in traffic, be comfortable and relaxed listening to your cool tunes, instead of getting hot and bothered like the other drivers. Your Prius always gives you the best economy it can in the situation.

Instead of looking at the low bars on the Energy screen, look at the high bars on the Consumption screen.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Be happy -

Your car is working as designed. If it were not using the battery while you sat there, it would be using gasoline inefficiently - like the rest of the cars around you.

Be happy.

8. PaneInTheGlass

PaneInTheGlass New Member

Thank you all for the terrific and informative answers! :D

The battery did recover rapidly once we got rolling again, I was getting nervous because the engine was not kicking on as I had expected by that point, then again, I had not gotten down to one bar, only two, and was still in the blue range.

Great news, thanks!

Harv

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PaneInTheGlass @ Apr 24 2007, 06:14 AM) [snapback]428914[/snapback]</div>
    We need to coin a term for this, like "panic syndrome".

Pretty much every new owner that hadn't already encountered a panic discussion-thread before delivery will end up sharing a panic story of their own virtually identical to the experiences of other unaware newbies.

It's the same thing everytime. They begin to feel nervous when stuck in a traffic-jam, based solely on what they assume is happening to the battery-pack. That empowering Energy-Monitor leads them to the wrong conclusion, shutting everything but the car itself off and having to sweat out the remainder of the wait... only to find out later that all was running perfectly and no response was needed.

10. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PaneInTheGlass @ Apr 24 2007, 03:05 AM) [snapback]428730[/snapback]</div>
    You were VERY lucky to get out of that traffic jam in time. Any longer, and your Prius might have gone into the feared "destination unreachable" mode. That's when it determines you will never reach your destination before the battery dies or global warming causes the end of the world, whichever comes first. It then shuts down everything except the air conditioning and the MFD. The MFD will show unsolvable sudoku puzzles to distract you from what's happening. There is no known way to get out of this mode.

11. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I agree, there is no need to intervene, let the car handle itself and you'll be fine.

I also find the Prius (2006) to do poorly in the traffic jam situation. I've only been in one really bad jam for a little over an hour. Probably 20 minutes into it, the battery was bottomed out, so now the ICE is flailing around wildly with every 'creep ahead' for the next 40 minutes.

In this situation where you might think it would do great on mpg, it does it's worst.

I'm a little surprised it doesn't decided to regen the battery at some point and run the engine at some efficient rpm level for 4 or 5 minutes to bring the battery up to a usable level so the ice can kick on and off a lot less for the next little while.

Then, when you break out of the traffic jam, your mpg is in the toilet as the battery eventually recovers.

They have some basic parameters around protecting the battery, but I don't think they did a lot of tinkering to make it do anything cool in this situation.

12. nyprius2007

nyprius2007 New Member

same thing happened to me last night infact while waiting to cross the tz bridge..
    battery went down to two bars and stayed there. Got the worst milage ever after that for a good 5 min. Nothing to worry about .. the computer will take care of it

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Further point: the main battery and associated electronics are cooled using *cabin* air, not outside air. That's the vent at the right end of the rear seat. You should use the A/C instead of opening a window, to avoid the possibility of the battery system getting too warm. If it does get too warm it will throttle itself and cause the car to run less efficiently. (Keeping the windows up also reduces infiltration of dust into the battery compartment.)

14. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PaneInTheGlass @ Apr 23 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]428730[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, mine will do the same thing when heavy electrical demands are made on the battery. I shut off the A/C & headlights the other morning. The battery is supposed to go up & down depending on the load.

15. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

It's actually quite bothersome when you're in a traffic jam, the battery charge drops very low and the ICE starts cycling on/off each time you move an inch forward and stop. To avoid this, step on the brake and press the gas pedal half way; the ICE will turn on, keep doing this until you get a couple of blue bars, take your foot off the pedal and the ICE will now stay off for a longer period of time.

A few folks have actually drag raced their Prius. They do the above, flooring the gas until the battery charges almost completely to obtain the best time.

16. neilw

neilw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Apr 24 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]429232[/snapback]</div>
    I'm glad someone finally said this. When I first had the traffic jam experience, I was not so much concerned about the low battery, but driven nuts by the ICE cycling on and off. I mean, it was really monstrously annoying.

Is this a documented feature? I'll have to try this...

17. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Be advised that the ICE/charge/battery behavior will also change depending on the temperature of the battery. You may never see the exact same behavior again.

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recall that you get down to "two pink bars" territory if the car's
    sitting powered up in Park, too. That's the default state when *not*
    actually driving, and apparently when just creeping along too [but
    then the juice is actually being used for propulsion]. Still a bit
    of a mystery why the sitting-in-park state doesn't seek the 60%
    level instead, but that appears to just be how it works.
    _H*