1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tragedy of the Commons

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by iplug, Oct 24, 2016.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    For those familiar, the Tragedy of the Commons is a dilemma wherein individuals act in their own self-interest with regard to a common resource or common good, reducing others' ability to use that resource or good, even if it is obvious that doing so is not in the long standing interest of society.

Typically this dilemma is applied to the utilization of resources, such as those environmental - a concern to many here on PriusChat. But it can also be used more broadly to consider other moral and ethical circumstances.

So, a philosophical/ethical/moral/economic question to others interested here:

Consider a hypothetical situation of a man invited to a wedding. This individual maintains only a casual wardrobe, but the expectation is that he will dress in a suit for the event.

This person does not struggle to make ends meet, but perceptively figures that by buying a suit then returning it after the wedding, such a transaction would be beneficial to him, costing him nothing. He finds a retailer with a 30-day money back guarantee and proceeds with this plan.

Such a means of procuring his wedding attire would be far more affordable than buying and keeping the suit to use later or even simply renting just for the occasion.

Many might find such behavior distasteful, but there may be nothing technically illegal about doing such. Certainly it is in the man’s economic interest to behave in this manner.

Yet other parties are affected, such as the retailer and the prices passed on to other customers as a result. If such behavior were sufficiently repetitive and commonplace, the negative effect to the common good would be rather obvious and stark.

The question then: Should the behavior of this man be condoned or condemned? Neither? Is this tantamount to common theft? Does it matter who the retailer is? Is it the retailers "fault" for offering a 30-day money back guarantee and simply the cost of doing business?

Please share your thoughts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't do it, but have no problem with others taking advantage of it. the retailer certainly knows what they are in for, and i have taken advantage of similar guarantees under different circumstances.

sears used to have a satisfaction guarantee, but i always found them reticent when i told them i wasn't satisfied.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Locally, Nordstrom, REI, and Costco have clamped down on their return policies for essentially what you describe.

For Nordstrom, the problem was mostly with party dresses, which now must be returned with all the tags still attached. For Costco, computer and TVs returns have been shortened to 90 days.

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Seems like most businesses have to put out a guarantee to play in the game, beyond what is required by law.

Agree with bisco, in my mind this is situation dependent. I would have no problem with someone signing up for various credit cards that offered lots of cash back or airline miles after using the first few months, then canceling. The world of credit card finance is rather predatory, waiting for the consumer to slip up, so no sleep lost on beating these guys at their own game. OTOH, a place like Costco with clear and fair terms, enduring respect for employees and customers, generous return policies...I would feel pretty dirty abusing return privileges there.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There may be newer and shinier lights in moral philosophy than Kant, but if his 'categorical imperative' appeals to you at all, the quoted sentence makes just about a textbook application of it.

-Chap

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was a dealer for toro products for 30 years. somewhere along the line, their marketing department decided a 5 year unconditional warranty would be a good sales tool.
    as more and more functioning products were returned, they had to reduce quality to make up for lost profit.
    in the end, competitors with shorter, conditional warranties, but better quality products were eating their lunch.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I'd say there are two versions of the first story. That one is preplanned. Another occurs if you are in a market (etc.), some disturbance outside, clerk distracted, and you shoplift something. Unplanned and opportunistic. But they and other more complicated scenarios involve a person who declines to follow norms of society. While appearing to do so.

Not detectable, prosecutable crimes but something less. Or, one might say, something more because it is more 'deniable' than commission of a crime. One can always argue that their personal diminution of society is small enough to ignore.

But, as with good (even small) deeds, they tend to accumulate, through time and across committers. Eventually society itself is affected. Either way.

The negative actions might be prevented by some type of parental, school, or moral (religious?) training. Usually they are (I guess), and society functions. But not always, so bam, tragedy of commons.

Vendors' returns policies adjustments above are a reasonable response but they have nothing to do with the existence of our tragedians above. A level of parasitism that societies (ideally) have enough surplus 'production' to withstand.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No problem: just adopt the "Minnie Pearl" look:

upload_2016-10-25_7-47-44.png

Coast Cruiser and fuzzy1 like this.
  9. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    May you live your life as if the maxim of your actions were to become universal law.

10. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's worth noting that one strategy for fighting this is to restrict returns to the minimum period allowed by law, and with things like tags and such intact... but to offer favorable replacement policies. So, once you buy it and hang onto it for a while, you're stuck with it... but if it legitimately breaks, you can get it replaced.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what if you were to tell the clerk, 'i'll be returning this after the wedding'?

12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If they are simply an employee and feel no vested interest in the business, unfortunately that person may not care or even find it amusing.

Even better, this happened recently to me at an Apple store: I needed a cable once to transfer some files and doubted needing to ever use the cable again. I asked an employee if I could rent one. He said no, just return it after you are done. I said, "really?".

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Were you an independent franchise?

Even if so, assuming here that Toro ate all of the costs for all unconditional returns. But if you were a mom and pop store and bore all costs, the incentives might be different. Would imagine if you hired a high school kid who just wanted a paycheck/summer job, you might have rather different sentiments when it came to perfectly functioning returned items.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For most goods, in most places, there is no legal requirement for the retailer to take any returns at all (excepting items that turn out to be unsuitable for their intended purpose). Returns have merely become a common marketing practice.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we were like a car dealer. everything passed through us, and toro covered all the costs. if a cutover wanted price or a name, they got toro. if they wanted quality, they got something else.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    He had a few goes at his favorite wording, and there's some leeway in translating it from the German, but yeah, any time you catch yourself asking, "this thing I'm proposing to do myself, if it were universally done by everyone, would I like living in that world?" you're on Kant's wavelength....

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Matthew 7:12 NCV, see also Luke 6:31

Do unto others you would they should do unto you.

With apologies to non-Christians for any unintentional offence taken

bisco likes this.
  18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The "golden rule" is often attributed to Christianity, but most religions have their own versions as well:

Buddhism: 560 BC, From the Udanavarga 5:18- "Hurt not others with that which pains yourself."

Judaism: 1300 BC, from the Old Testament, Leviticus 19:18- "Thou shalt Love thy neighbor as thyself."

Hinduism: 3200 BC, From the Hitopadesa- "One should always treat others as they themselves wish to be treated."

Zoroastrianism: 600 BC, From the Shast-na-shayast 13:29- "Whatever is disagreeable to yourself, do not do unto others."

Confucianism: 557 BC, From the Analects 15:23- "What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."

Golden rule quotes from various religions

tochatihu and fotomoto like this.
  19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the whole point of returns is stupid unless it is DOA. Buy pants and they don't fit? Your problem, buy another pair in a different size. Buy dinner and don't like it? Too bad, don't eat it or order something else. This whole buying and returning thing is a scourge. The only time I return things is when they are broken from the factory or explode on the first use. If it melts the second time, I just buy something better the next time.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or you might expect a free repair at least. it's called capitalism, and it's all marketing and up to the mfg/wholesaler/retailer. though i suppose the government might be involved to a degree.
    and there are probably some business people who genuinely believe there products or services should perform to a certain standard, and are willing to eat the cost of their own mistakes.