1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trailer-hitch & bike rack on a Gen II touring??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by neon tetra, Apr 18, 2010.

1. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I read through many threads on here on the subject, but can't find a definitive answer.

Is there a specific brand and size hitch you'd recommend for the Prius (2008 Touring)? It will likely only be used for a bike rack, with no more than 2 bikes on it.
    Also, is there a particular brand/model of bike rack that seems to be best for the Prius, as far as ground clearance and overall fit?

Any recommendations would help, as I have a new bike & am itching to ride somewhere other than my neighborhood!

2. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Curt Hitch with the 1.25-inch receiver is the best option for the Gen-II Prius.

The only other hitch available for the Gen-II is a 2-inch made by Coastal, and that hitch has a history of problems due to a long hitch tube with inadequate structural support.

I bought the Curt Hitch at U-Haul and have used it for the past three years with zero problems. My thread: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/38000-finally-got-my-curt-hitch.html

3. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been looking at the Thule Helium racks, either the 970xt or 971 xt.

The 3 bike one isn't much more $, but realistically... do I want to be putting 3 bikes on a Prius? I don't know how confident I'd be doing that.

5. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you will enjoy biking trips with your Prius and Gary Fisher as much as I do mine!

Either the 2- or the 3-bike rack will be fine. Just use sound judgment on carrying the bikes-- Carrying three light road bikes (20 pounds apiece) should be no problem. Heavier hybrid bikes, 2 should be OK. Real heavy-duty 40-pound full-suspension mountain bikes, just carry 1. :D

Before, I was restricted to riding around my neighborhood here on Long Island. After I got the Curt Hitch, I've taken my bike to places like Upstate New York to see the leaves change color in the fall on the Harlem Valley Rail Trail. Expanding your horizons is a beautiful thing! :cool: