1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rljungquist, Jan 28, 2006.

1. rljungquist

rljungquist New Member

Has anyone installed a trailer hitch for use with a light (600 pound) load?

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lots of posts around regarding that. Coastaletech offers two different sizes, and there are other after-market makers that build one specifically for the Prius.

And you'll soon hear from folks who will tell you not to tow....

3. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Don't tow! (There, now I've done my part... :p )

4. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

What's the difference if you tow a certain weight or have the same weight in the passenger compartment? :huh:

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Certainly if you are smart, skilled and careful, you can get away with some unprescribed practices... like towing. I've do it regularly, and am still alive to tell the story... as are my vehicles.

The forces of towing are quite a bit differnent than filling the passenger compartment with the same amount of weight though. Weight distribution changes drastically, stresses on the frame are applied differently. There's more going on than just adding weight between the axels.

7. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

So I guess what we are saying is that the Prius is built cheeser :eek: than other cars of it's size that can tow a small trailer? I find that hard to believe and wonder what Toyota's thinking is on this other than not to tow?

I have some expensive bicycles that I would like to tow behind the Prius in a small enclosed trailer. Were talking maybe 600 to 800 lbs tops.

I guess I would call myself "smart, skilled and careful" seeing that I have a CDL and drive tractor trailer.