1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trailer questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HNDRICKS10, Apr 4, 2005.

1. HNDRICKS10

HNDRICKS10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2002 Prius with 35,000 miles on it.

I am a courier driver, I drive approx 60,000 miles per year, I am thinking about install the bike hitch and then attaching a small 4 ft X 5 ft trailer for use during the day. Based on my driving experience I expect that I will need the trailer attached about once each day and would be hauling 500 lbs of auto parts.

My question is what will happen to my mileage and of course to the car.

Anyone out there that has tried to use a trailer ?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Tom Hendricks

ps last year I hauled two bikes (one was a recumbent) on a trunk mounted bike rack, we experienced a head wind part of the time and the MPG dropped to 25 , is this what will happen if I use a trailer?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hybrid drive train is really not designed to handle the forces exerted with towing and Toyota (and I) strongly recommend against it...particularly with the frequent use you'd be giving it.

Other, in fairness, have towed trailers, apparently without ill effect, but this is one risk I would not take...mileage hit or not.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

As one who uses his Prius to tow a trailer, with out more data on terrain and OAT's and how far the tow is loaded I'm not going to say yea or na but 500 lbs one a day every day it's not what I'd use the Prius for. You probably need a small pickup truck. I've towed about 250lbs max load and the car doesn't really complain but double that and I think your really over the line. On a daily basis I think your asking for mechanical trouble. I've been wrong before and I've been right before and I see this as a coin toss. I't your coin and I think you'll be tossing it. Just one old man's opinion