1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trailer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sonny, Sep 14, 2006.

1. sonny

sonny New Member

I have motorcycle trailer that I put my 800 lb. Harley on. Will the pri pull it? Also wanted you all to know that the 2007 showroom brochure is out there. I received one 3 days ago. My 07 Touring Edition has been built and shipped.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sonny @ Sep 14 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]319730[/snapback]</div>
    It might, but I wouldn't, esp. if you care about your warranty. The recommended towing capacity of the Prius is 0 lbs.

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

How much does the trailer weigh? Combined with the bike is probably over 1000 pounds. That’s a lot for an economy car to handle.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the vehicle capacity of my Prius is 800lbs
    my trailer weighs 210lb
    my weight 175lbs
    full tank of gas weighs 72lbs
    hitch weight is 35lbs
    total 492
    max load in trailer=318Lbs.
    this is a small 4x4' Snowbear trailer. Most weight that I've ever towed has been about 240Lbs in the trailer. Over to the dump to get rid of a cherry tree that we trimmed in the neighbours yard that was overhanging my sundeck. Mostly used for yard trimming and hauling stuff home from the garden supply store.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, I've pulled a trailer, as have several others. I personally would not pull anything that heavy though. My comfort level ends at about 500 pounds gross.

6. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sonny @ Sep 14 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]319730[/snapback]</div>
    That's probably more than you should mess with. The Prius was not designed to tow anything, and though many people do pull some very light trailer loads and hang mountain bikes on hitch racks, you are talking about a substantial load.

The Prius curb weight is only about 2850 lbs. with a gross weight rating of something like 3750. So you have a payload of less than one thousand pounds. On vehicles with designed towing capability you usually have a combined gross weight rating that is higher than the gross rating for the vehicle alone.

Not being designed to pull a trailer, the Prius has no combined weight rating. Your your application will put the car at gross with the entire payload hanging from a trailer hitch - a hitch that the car's manufacturer doesn't recommend for any loads. How much do you weigh? Anyone riding with you and you are over gross - In a care with undersized friction brakes and a drive system that probably isn't designed to put up with the stress of a towed load (they are different than loads in the vehicle).

Pulling one of those little fiberglass trunk things that holds a couple of ice chests is one thing. Putting a gross weight load behind a car that is not a good towing platform to begin with is probably not a good idea. I would not do it.

7. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sonny @ Sep 14 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]319730[/snapback]</div>

I pulled a similer load once, and I definitly don't recomend it. I had a utility trailer with a 750cc 1979 Honda, which I think weighs around 800 pounds, to move across town during a move. Power-wise, the car was fine, but the handleing was terrible. Count on staying under 30 mph to keep everything under control. If its a once or twice thing over a short distance, you may be able to get away with it, but if you want to tow the bike often, use a designed-to-tow vehicle.