1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trainwreck of issues 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PreciousPrius, Jul 12, 2024 at 6:55 PM.

1. PreciousPrius

PreciousPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    My 2007 Prius hasn't given me a bit of problems ever. Driving to the train station a few days ago, all the dash lights came on, but car kept driving. Had to make the train, so didn't investigate till I got home today. Here's the symptoms:

Warning lights staying on: Check engine, VSC, Hybrid Warning, yellow brake warning. (Yes, the Ready light was on, too) The right rear ventilation system fan came on even though the AC was off. The battery indicator on the MFD kept going up and down from empty to full, much faster than seemed realistic. It felt kind of sluggish on the drive, and as I was turning onto my road, it kind of stopped responding. I'd step on the gas and it wouldn't accelerate at all.

I got home, turned it off and ate dinner. Came back out and all the lights and that fan still come on, but I was able to reverse and go forward around my driveway a bit. Though when I'd put it in park, I'd get a Problem flash for less than a second, then it would flash a picture of a battery that says "MAIN".

Any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need a new hybrid battery, and possibly other work, but you'll need the trouble codes to know for sure.
    are you going to repair it yourself?

Brian1954 likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you buy one of these they usually get delivered in less than 24 hours if you're in a big enough city: Panlong OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth OBDII Diagnostic Tool Car Code Reader Turn Off... | eBay This device will allow you to connect your phone to you car and run diagnostic apps like Dr. Prius app. Once you scan for error codes and clear them we can tell you what needs work. Because you have the cooling fan turning on it's related to the hybrid battery system.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Battery time perfectly normal behavior just that time Not much are going to do about it except put a battery in it or not

5. PreciousPrius

PreciousPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, that's what I was afraid of, needing a new battery. Honestly, I got the car for free when my mother upgraded 7 years ago. I'm disinclined to put more than a couple hundred bucks into it.

Sounds like I'm getting rid of it, doesn't it? That kind of sucks; it was such a good old car.

bisco likes this.
  6. PreciousPrius

PreciousPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a related note, does anyone in upstate New York want a good deal on a Prius that evidently needs a new hybrid battery?

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Change your membership ID to something other than "Precious Prius?"
    Change the 12v battery?
    If you're not willing to put more than a few hundred bucks into this car I would spend about $20 on a large Sharpie and a some poster board and put a "For Sale" sign in the car and park it out front.

Your car probably has about $5k parts aboard, but like many things we've seen lately it's a little past it's 'sell by' date.
    This forum has a 'for sale by' sub-forum and a bunch of Prius fans.
    AND....you can sell it for free.

Or?
    You can trade it in and somebody else will pretend to give you something for the car while over-charging you for it's replacement - which WILL NOT be free.
    I have an 06 Envoy that I would happily put MUCH MORE than a few hundred into to keep it on the road.
    It too is past its 'sell by date' but it's also been paid for since something like 09 and hasn't cost me much since then.

Good Luck!

8. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't do that on principle alone. A 2007 Prius with a dead battery is worth at least $1.5k anywhere in the country. A guy with a couple hours and two spare cells could suppress the red triangle long enough to flip the car for $4k+.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've gotten four or five of them this way but it rip I don't generally buy things from upstate New York because of the rust and damages that are inherent from living in that climate but down here in the south same thing people are dropping these things left and right because they've got to get a newer car because of thought reliability and keeping up with the Joneses It is a big part of it even if they don't tell you that and that works in my favor wonderfully because I don't care about the Joneses and I can take care of the little silly things for nearly nothing so I wind up with essentially a near free automobile that I will drive for years and if not it gets stripped for parts and the parts put up for the worthy vehicles pretty simple never had a car payment never really had much any hullabaloo with vehicle and transportations my whole life I just think of all the money that I've saved which may or may not matter to some but it's just the principle to me I'm going to go into debt possible bankruptcy so on and so forth so I can do what exactly sit my fat butt down and ride I don't think so

10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps I was unclear.

I didn't mean sell the car for zero dollars, but rather use the "for sale" sub-forum at this site to list the car for sale at a price that it's condition would warrant.

It might be more than the OP thinks.
    Or less.....

The exhaust, wheels and tires might be worth several thou just by themselves.
    If the car is adult driven then the interior might be in good enough shape to piut the car back on the road for a few more years.
    OTOH if it has advanced orange cancer, the owner was a slob - or a smoker, or there is unrepaired body damage or windows cracked then the OP might be better off donating it to charity and taking the tax write off.

The easiest way to give the car away would be to have it towed to a dealer and walk around their lot for a few minutes.....

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? low mile gen 2 are worth good money even if they need a battery. the cat alone is valuable for the precious metals if it is original.

12. PreciousPrius

PreciousPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, brace yourselves. Sitting down? Good. The car has... 50k miles on it. Yes, since 2007. It was my mom's, she was a librarian and literally just drove it back and forth to the library every day. When I got in 2017 it had 32k miles on it.

Also, the name; when my mom gave it to us, we were thinking it would be the beater. We kind of fell in love with it, so we started calling it Precious. Name stuck.

OK, I'll probably put it up for sale. I used to monkey around with cars and motorcycles when I was younger, and I was never super good at it.

13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a ton of pictures and use this site.
    Be advised that the cat is probably worth yanking off and selling by itself.
    A 50,000 mile G2 might just be worth a couple thou in the "for sale by" subforum in this forum.

Good Luck!