1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tranny mount torque specs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Superduper, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Superduper

Superduper New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi. Does anyone here have a manual and can tell me the torque specs for the transmission mount bolt torques? The mount on mine broke (the spike snapped) which allowed the tranny to drop causing axle to snap in 1/2. A local transmission shop wants "at least" $1500 to replace the mount and cv axle. Axle at autozone is $74 and I'm getting a used mount from eBay for $30 shipped (new is like $120 but as the pic illustration isn't clear what was included, I chose to go the used route since I could clearly see it included both upper and lower mount and the spike). Anyway parts should be here soon and I'm anxious to get the tranny rehung asap... Need torque specs to do that though. If anyone can help, would be deeply appreciated.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. Superduper

Superduper New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I actually have a Bentleys manual on the way, but with mild weather getting fewer and farther between, I'm getting a bit impatient as I'd like to get this done asap. The trans housing looks like aluminum so general torque specs might not apply here. Also with the hanger stud having already snapped, I'm a bit leery of installing replacement by guessing the recommended torque. Still unsure how it snapped in the first place, whether it was overtightened by previous owner or something. Wife drove car through a dip in the road when "bang" noise occurred and car would no longer move. After tow home, deeper inspection showed the snapped axle and transaxle assembly sitting much lower than I expected. The road dip is not like a pothole, rather road was deliberately paved that way, and it is a busy street. I watched hundreds of cars drive through there uneventfully while waiting for tow truck.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the torque specs refer to the material from which the fasteners are made, rather than that of the components they're holding together. The complete Toyota technical manuals are available on-line (…for a price - I remember seeing $15 mentioned somewhere). I sure you're not the first to have asked for this information, so I'm surprised that no one has replied apart from me! (…patience, patience! ;))

5. Superduper

Superduper New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well the Bentleys manual wasn't as comprehensive as I expected and didn't address engine or transmission removal or replacement of mounts or even to my surprise, didn't address cv axle replacement. Needless to say, no specific torque figures were included so I used my best guess and added lock washers and locktite just in case they might be slightly under torqued. What subjects the manual did address however was clear and concise, more so than and clearly superior to the chiltons and Haynes manuals, in my experience, still I wished it covered more. Wasn't motivated enough to pay the $500 ~ $800 I'm seeing for the factory Toyota shop manuals and the online access fees seemed excessive to me. Anyhow it's done now so guess I'm not going to worry about this any more, unless and until issues arise again.