1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"TRANS-WARP DRIVE" FOR "TRANS-WARP STEALTH TRAVEL"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Cheap!, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<_<
    I have been mulling over Steve Lapp's Solar Prius and his system for sending power to main battery. He uses a solar panel to charge a 12 volt battery while the Prius is parked in the sun. Upon ignition battery runs through a DC to DC transformer, stepping up the voltage to 300 volts and only runs while the car is running. It adds a minimal amount of power at a time, however no other items are needed to run the system such as CAN view or Spoofing circuits. B)

Now think about all of the hyper-milers, we all know when we run around town we try not to use the main battery at all, ether by charging, or discharging it. When we travel at higher speeds we try to Warp Stealth as far as we can while the battery pack sends minimal power to the motor. We can't stop that. That power is removed from the main battery and must be replaced to continue Warp Stealth. Knowing that, I do believe Steve Lapps claims about getting additional performance from his Solar Prius. :D

Let's think about taking the next step in this evolution... mating this system to a plug in Prius. First if we can plug it in we won't need to have solar panels on the roof of the car. (Not that I would mind having a Solar Prius, or wind power for that matter.) Put the panels on the roof of your house or carport. We could just start with one new, compact, ultra amazing - top of the line Li-ion Battery. At night we would plug that into a standard 12 volt charger and then during the day it would be used to add minimal power to the system to run on "Trans Warp Stealth." In addition to running in EV, Stealth, Warp Stealth, and Trans Warp Stealth, this "Trans Warp Drive" could be expanded on by adding more 12 volt Li-ion's to the system as desired or as could be afforded, without the need of removing the main battery or augmenting the control systems. You could just remove your homemade plug and play system from your Prius before you sell it, in a few years, and put it in your new one. :lol:

Any comments on this topic? Would anyone like to assist me in possibly making this for my Prius? I really do think the the other plug and play battery packs on the market are way over priced, and over complicated. Am I wrong? :blink:

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Jun 15 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]271702[/snapback]</div>
    You sure that the 12V battery can charge the hybrid battery? I thought it's only the hybrid battery charging the 12V and not the other way around.

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It sounds like there's a separate 12v battery on the solar system with an inverter to feed power into the traction battery.

In theory, this might work. But what about in practice? What are the losses through such a system? Is there enough energy going into the traction battery to make it worthwhile?

Also, the idea of "more 12v batteries" doesn't make much sense. The motors will suck them down much faster than any car-mounted solar panel can charge them.

4. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jun 15 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]271809[/snapback]</div>
    Here is some background.
    http://www.lapprenewables.com/hybrid%20project.html

A quote from the above page.

January 2006 - Project status:
    - several 1000 km on PV hybrid - no major problems
    - 270 watts of high efficiency SUNPOWER PV mounted on roof
    - small 12 volt lead acid buffer battery charging from PV
    - buffer battery feeds 300 VDC NiMH main battery through current controlled 12VDC to 300VDC converter
    - fourth panel to be added soon - jan 2006?

[attachmentid=3812]
    [attachmentid=3813]

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting.

But he states about 175wh output from his batteries. You can generate that much power just by achieving four regeneration "cars" on the display. It seems that 175wh is hardly worth the extra weight of the equipment.

From a practical standpoint, there probably isn't enough surface area on the car to carry all the PV panels needed to accumulate a decent charge in a reasonable amount of time.

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jun 15 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]271851[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you regarding the solar panels. However, this may be a simple way to put a battery pack, and plug in a Prius. Instead of solar panels just plug the batteries in to a charger at night. The only extra weight in the car would be the batteries,transformer, and some wires. Instead of trying to provide all of the power to run the car from an extra battery pack, simply just send a little extra charge all the time for an improvement to you're "Warp Stealth" driving.

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I was able to put my car into Warp Stealth last night. Boy is that hard to do. On rare occasions I could get the blank screen with no arrows for about ten seconds, then I would move my foot a little and it would be back to having the gas engine on. Most of the time I had the arrows from the battery to the wheels only but that would only work if I had a lot of bars in reserve. Once the battery pack got to three bars or less, no more Warp Stealth.

What are your experiences with Warp Stealth?