1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle crushable filler & drain plug gasket (crush washer)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by epoch_time, Sep 26, 2015.

1. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just changed our gen III transaxle fluid drained 3 quarts and 7 oz (3.23 quart). refilled with 3.75 quart.

I used new aluminum gaskets #90430-18008 .. for fun I measured the thickness of the new and old gaskets.

The orignal old gaskets thickness measured 77 thousands. the new ones before install measured 79 thousands.
    The next day I decided to remove 1/2 quart of new fluid. Removed filler plug and 12 oz of fluid came out of filler plug... the previous day nothing was comming out of filler hole after filling with 3.75 quart...

Probably air was beat into new fluid making it expand or heat expanded fluid making it flow out filler hole.

Anyway I decided to measure new filler plug gasket/crush washer.. It went from 79 thousands to 71 thousands thickness with the recommended torque of 29 ft pounds.. this results is the filler plug turning and extra 1/10 turn miss aligning toyota tamper marks. Toyota puts ink mark across filler and drain plug to check for tampering.

I used the orignal gasket/crushable washers on my gen II prius years ago with out any problems . Wish I would have done the same on the gen III prius...

No easy way to put orignal gasket/crushable washers back on now without loosing new fluid...
    Its easy to see I've tampered with gen III transaxle.. I wonder if the dealer changed the fluid if they would have used orignal gasket/crush washer or If they remark ink over drain and fill plugs.

To avoid possible warranty problems after diy transaxle fluid change . Use orignal gasket/crushable washers.

I'm not sure I like the softer gasket/aluminum crush washer. and definately dont like that I might have warranty problems..

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The marks on the assemblies aren't for indication of tampering. They're there to indicate that the bolt/nut has been torqued to factory specifications.

Even if you reused the old washers, it doesn't necessarily mean that the marks would line up when properly torqued. Variables like thermal expansion make it unlikely.

I don't recall seeing any marks on my drain or fill bolts when I changed my transaxle fluid at 35k.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think your concerns about the washers and transaxle "sanctity" are unwarranted. But some of your post is concerning:

If you put in 3.75 quarts, and then removed 12 oz (.75 quart), you've now got 3.0 quarts. Spec is 3.5 quarts. You're likely still just within spec, at the low end. Acceptable is anywhere between fluid at the fill hole lip, to 10 mm below the lip

Your speculation that air was beaten into fluid, or expanded due to heat, is a red herring. Even if the air entrainment theory was true: wouldn't the fluid volume become less, when that air worked it's way out of the fluid.

All these measurements are pointless. Really all you need to do, to get the level right: with the car raised and level, pour in fluid until it starts coming out. You're done. In my experience that takes about 3.5 liters, maybe a bit more.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  4. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I removed 12 oz which is not .75 quart.! .75 quart would be 24 oz !

When draining prius transaxle not all the fluid drains out. My calculations indicate 9 oz remain in transaxle because drain hole is above the bottom of the transaxle!!

Bottom line is I replaced the amount of fluid that I initally removed, after putting in 1/2 quart to much (16 oz)..

After researching prius transaxle fluid change I found 3 of 3 initial posts that people drained 3 quarts out and put in 3.75 quarts.. My conclusion after determining there are no leaks in my transaxle. And others are only able to drain about 3 quarts is that all the fluid doesn't drain from elevated drain hole..!

I did all the car leveling checks when replacing fluid. But it is almost impossible to know if the fluid is 10mm below drain hole.

With the car level it will take 3.75 quarts + whatever fluid didn't drain from elevated drain hole.. and not overflow from drain hole.
    Prius service manual states transaxle holds 3.5 quarts not 3.75 quarts! The service manual also states after fluid change to drive car, stop on level ground and check that fluid is within 10mm of the fill hole. This is the only time fluid came back out the fill hole! after is was driven and fully warmed up..

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah woops, brain bubble on imperial measures. Still:

If the car is level when you put fluid in, you cannot put too much fluid in. Spec is: anywhere between at the lip, to 10 mm low. So if you fill until it starts coming back out, you've got it at the lip, the upper limit of the spec.

After my first fill, per the instruction I checked it a day later. I raised and levelled the car as the first time, and the level had not budged: still at the lip. You can feel with your pinky finger. Second time doing a change, I didn't bother with that "day later" recheck, no point.

xliderider likes this.
  6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ditto what Mendel said.

It should be nothing more than a simple drain and fill until it begins to run out of the fill hole.

It sounds like you have made this simple task a whole lot more complicated than it needs to be.

CR94 and xliderider like this.