1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle disengaged hybrid system not working,

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jhonathan, May 11, 2016.

1. Jhonathan

Jhonathan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone,

I didn't ever think I find myself on a prius forum lol... =). Just a quick Intro, My names Jonathan from Los Angeles. My mother got into a fender bender the other day, Car was deemed a total loss. I didn't think the damage was too bad and one of my friends at a bodyshop told me to go ahead and do a car buy back that I can't go wrong with a prius. My mother said $20 gas a week lol. So I did and gave my mom the difference. The Car drives going forward and in reverse just find. Besides the body damage I got underneath the car and I see a bent tie rod end and maybe a lower control arm. The thing is when I hop inside to move the car I notice the car reads transaxle disengaged and battery system wont charge in neutral.

I'm very mechanically inclined I have worked on regular cars and motorcycles for years now. Before I lift a finger on that car lol... Umm safety tips on how not to get Shocked or killed? and any idea on why it would say " transaxle disengaged battery system wont charge while in neutral if its in drive"? I can go ahead and take it apart tomorrow in the morning and start ordering the bent parts for the wheel. I've included a picture of the damage. It's a 2008 Prius . Also I would appreciate if anyone know's where I can get cheap parts for the prius to put on there, I'm graduating school in 9 days and I would love to take the Prius on a drive from Los Angeles, CA to Portland, Oregon as my reward ;).

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The pictures are all that's damaged? Car is totaled? How much did you have to pay for it?

Lots of parts on craigslist

3. Jhonathan

Jhonathan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $1900 was the buy back... Low Key Im excited lol. Yes thats all the damage... wheel looks a bit bent ... tierod end looks bent. My Husky Jumped right in it today lol... I think he's excited too. What are HV lineman gloves?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car does not charge in Neutral, that's perfectly normal. So I think you got a deal for $1900. Get your bodyshop friend to fix it and you're on your way

5. Jhonathan

Jhonathan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It says that while its in Drive, My bodyshop buddy will do the body, but I have to fix the mechanical first before I take it to him.

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there is no frigging way it was totaled with only this slight cosmetic blem. i'm thinking transaxle got damaged or maybe some cable got disconnected (if you're lucky). if you don't know how to fix cars you need to pay someone to do it for you.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If its saying that in drive.....is the drivers side door open? Put it in Drive and while not moving open the drivers door. Is that what its saying?
    I have never heard of the nag your posting so its something new.

I can tell you for sure though if there's a Hybrid issue of any kind it will throw a dash alarm a check engine light. Most likely a big red triangle on the dash and a little pic of the car on MFD screen. Thats good that means it has throw a diagnostic code that reports what is bad on the car. Get that code read asap.

Post the code or codes complete back here...it will look like this format: XXXX.XXX

You cannot get a Hybrid code read at an auto parts store. It requires the proprietary Toyota software "Techstream" You either have to hit the dealer for $125 for them to pull the codes or order a mini vci that comes with the proprietary Toyota Techstream software the dealer uses.
    Read up on this forum about the mini vci and Techstream.

Knowing the codes and what the car is complaining about is the first and cheapest step to fixing it. Btw, I had a Husky for 12 years. I'm from Vermont. Miss that dog.

8. Jhonathan

Jhonathan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some additional pictures, I'll get the mini vci today. Hopefully I can find it locally if not I'll order it online. My ABS light is on, Brake light on dash stays on, and Then the Red Triangle stays on.

I Love Huskies, on my 5th one now... 4 of them are gone to the rainbow meadows =(///

Attached Files:

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of the 'transaxle disengaged' notification before. perhaps there is damage to the tranny through the axle impact.
    a quick think, disconnect the 12v for a few minutes and see what comes on. not sure if you will lose codes though, might want to read them first.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice pics.
    2 things: One is the trans may have seen damage to the differential section where the inner cv joint enters the diff case. Looks like the outer cv took a nice whack. May have gear damage there.
    The other thing given the abs nag is the brake abs unit is located just inboard of the damaged area. Think of it at the end of the steering column under the car area. May be pushed around in there. Jack up the car real high to get under there and examine it. See if it is leaking fluid.

I would also pull the trans fluid and look for pieces of metal in the fluid or if any trans fluid is leaking where the damaged inner cv joint enters the diff case. There's a seal where it enters that is easily damaged by out of whack inner joint resulting in leaking fluid and possible trans damage.
    Best bet is pull the codes with all the code subsets. Then go to techinfo.toyota.com and you can rent a one day subscription and read and print the oem service manual. Get your printer ready for a workout and print all pertinent data that concerns the codes you will pull. The code troubleshooting tree concerning a specific code is most helpful. Its the same diagnostic manual the Toyota techs refer to.
    Good luck to you. Post codes and we will help.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pls post photos of any warning lights and messages.

Used parts: autobeyours.com, eBay Motors
    New parts: parts.com

What is the model year and odometer reading?

12. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That message is because you have to door open while in drive or neutral. I'm pretty sure my gen 2 always said something like that.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I said that in post #7. He did not respond to my post.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps the door switch, or wire to it, is damaged. that dent is right about the area.

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the message in the above is different to the one the OP is asking about.

If you want see the OP's message sit with the car on (READY) and the shifter in "N" and wait until the HV battery gets to the purple bars. The message will come up when the system wants to start the ICE to charge up the battery, but can't because it is in neutral ("N").

Hopefully by now the OP has worked out the shifter needs to be in "P" or "D" so the HV can be charged, otherwise he is heading to the point of no return where the HV battery will need an external charge.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in post #5, he says he's getting the message while in D.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe he was mistaken and gets the other message in D.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be.

19. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we'll never know. looks like the OP was shocked and killed during the repair.

20. Jhonathan

Jhonathan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You were right, once i closed the door as hard as i could the transaxle error went away. Once I charged up the battery all the other codes went away.