1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jklarkin, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jklarkin

jklarkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I have a 2006 Prius with 86,000 miles. I have loved it until 2 days ago when I was driving on the highway in traffic and the big red triangle with ! lit up on my dash with the low tire pressure light also.
    It looked serious so I pulled onto the shoulder immediately and tried to look it up in the manual. Not very helpful so I tried turning it off and restarting. Then all sorts of warning lights lit up on the dash and the car wouldn't get out of park. Called the dealership and they said to have it towed to them, which we did. At first they said they couldn't find anything wrong after they cleared the codes but wanted to keep it longer to try to replicate problem. This morning they say the transmission/transaxle needs to be replaced which is $5,112 plus another $2000+ of miscellaneous for a total estimate of $7,723!!! Now I know what the google term "big red triangle of death" is all about.

Anyway, I want to know if there are many people who've had this same issue at such a low mileage. ( I have a 1996 Chevy pickup with 280,000+ miles with it's original transmission.) The codes/terms my dealer referenced are:
    R&R Hybrid Transaxle apply TSB 0306-08 OP Code EG5033A (P0AA6, Detail Code 526 and 613)

After doing some internet research it seems this is common enough that there is a TSB 0306-08 that says it would be covered under the powertrain 60,000 mile warranty or the hybrid 150,000 mile warranty if I lived in California, Mass. etc. (not Maryland). How common does it have to be to be a warrantied defect? Any way to get this covered in Maryland?

Also, does anyone know of any other options I have other than paying that huge amount or losing my car? Beware fellow Prius owners.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Other options:

1. Have an independent garage install a used transaxle.
    2. Call other Toyota dealers for a repair quote. The $7,700 quote you mentioned is extremely high.

dave77 likes this.
  3. jklarkin

jklarkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

4. jklarkin

jklarkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Now I am learning that Maryland is a CARB state but Toyota is still saying that it isn't a covered repair. Might need to talk to a lawyer to help sort this out. Any recommendations?

Meanwhile I am afraid to get it repaired at an independent garage because if it were a warrantied repair it would only be covered at the dealer's service shop. I will try to keep posting my progress just in case there are other people out there in the same boat.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could it be a 12v issue? Just with a 2006 year car and 86,000 miles it ties in on that front, esp with a warning light AND tyre sensor error light?

Just it seems cheaper than a new transaxle.

6. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is it possible Maryland became a carb state after you bought your car? (carb warranty is not retroactive) . My best guess is Maryland wasnt carb until 2007

7. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There has been reports of dealers misdiagnosing prius. Even some changing first gen prius transaxle unnessarly.
    At the very least get error codes from dealer and post on priuschat...

The problem could in fact be a 12volt battery... there have been many priuschat reports of warning lights, and strange prius behaveore
    cause of low voltage on prius computers....

If you have not ever changed 12 volt battery it is more suspect....
    If dealer still has your prius I would recomend removing 12 volt battery and bench charging it over night at 3amp hour rate
    reinstall battery and drive your prius home.....

It is very unlikely you have a bad transaxle......

Keep us posted

8. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If prius does ready and look normal after 12 volt battery reinstallation (this resets all computers and codes)...
    Check inverter coolant pump to make sure it is operating....
    This is verry simple.. put prius in ready mode and gear in park , emergency brake on. open hood and verify turbulance in coolant
    resevore tank.....indicating coolant flow via electric coolant pump .... this pump operates always when in ready mode...
    If you cannot verify turblence simply hold coolant supply hose which connects to bottom of inverter coolant tank....You should feel
    slight vibration from distant cooling pump... the vibration indicates pump is working....vibration is probably easier to feel with
    gasoline engine off...while still in system ready mode....