1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle fluid-- Drain-and-fill or flush?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by justlurkin, Oct 11, 2010.

1. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last month, I brought my '07 Prius into the Star Toyota dealership in Bayside NY for its normal 5K-mile oil change at 30K miles on the odometer, and I asked about replacing the transaxle fluid (I'm thinking of doing it proactively at 35K miles). The service tech told me it's going to cost me $380. OY.

Then a week later, I came across an auto shop in Whitestone NY that does contract servicing for the NYC municipal government's hybrid car fleet (including Prii used by the NYPD and other city agencies), and they quoted me $180. I was ready to tell them to do it on the spot when I heard the price, but one thing stopped me... The shop guy told me that to replace the transaxle fluid in my '07, it needs to be a flush, not a drain-and-fill.

So I ask our knowledgeable forum: how should the Prius transaxle fluid be changed? flush or drain-and-fill? I'm hesitant to do the flush because I heard that might stir up little bits of debris in the transaxle assembly which might end up destroying the thing.

Thanks for any clarification!

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    They have no equipment that can do an ATF flush in a Prius. They are just trying to get extra $ out of your wallet. My Dealer charges me $100 to do a drain and refill. I can agree that one early ATF refresh is appropriate followed by another every 60,000 miles.

Dealers often honestly propose a flush since it gets fresh ATF into the torque converter - there isn't one in a Prius.

JeffD

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only thing they are trying to flush is your wallet.

4. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed!
    This job will only take you about an hour plus ~$20 for the WS ATF and drain plug gasket. There are some good write-ups on this forum and in the Bentley manual.

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is any ATF fluid OK for the Prius or is it better to use Toyota brand ATF. H

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2G Prius needs 4 US quarts of Toyota ATF WS.

1 person likes this.
  7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think they confused the Prius cvt with the 5 speed auto in my FJ.

BTW my local dealership charges $70 for a pan drain, and $220 for a complete fluid exchange using the machine. Note, this does not apply to a Prius

But is probably a good idea every 20,000 in an FJ, Tacoma, etc

8. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info guys.

I don't understand why these Toyota dealers here in Queens NYC are so ignorant when it comes to servicing the Prius. There is no way in heck I'm going to pay Star Toyota in Bayside $380 to change the fluid, and Lee Toyota in Jamaica just plain refuses to even do it ("that transaxle fluid is good for the life of the car!" tsk, tsk.). Now I'm hesitant to go to any NYC-area Toyota dealers since so many of them don't seem to know jack crap about the car they are selling.

jdenenberg: Mind if I ask which dealer you go to? Trumbull CT is close enough that I wouldn't mind tripping up there from NYC to get my transaxle fluid replaced by a knowledgeable dealership for a reasonable price. Thanks.

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I've trained that dealer :) (Three refreshes to date, 60k, 120k & 180k miles - each for about $100). You may have to discuss the price with them; They know better than to try to charge me too much for a simple task.

They are not perfect. They initially wanted to do a "Flush" at 60k miles after questioning me as to why I wanted to replace the "lifetime" WS ATF at all. They also once told me that I needed a full front brake job ($500+) at 100k miles (I still have the original brakes at 180k miles). If you have any difficulty, talk to the Service Manager rather than the Service Writer (Two of the writers are OK, I'm not sure about the others).

The "trained" dealer is A1 Toyota at exit 59 on the Merritt Parkway (Route 15, Called the Hutchinson River Parkway in NY). You need an appointment before taking the drive. Their service dept opens at 7:30 am.

JeffD

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They are not ignornant, they are just raping you.

The weakest link with Toyota in general is their dealership network. The Toyota brand has some truly awful dealerships

11. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just drained and filled the transaxle with the recommended fluid. The first drain and fill was at 77k miles by the dealer. The last two times I did it myself. Each time there was some black metallic residue on the plug magnet. It cleaned up easy with a clean rag. Each time I also used new crush washers on both the drain and fill plugs. this is really easy to do and I plan on doing this every 20 thousand miles or so, or whenever I feel the need to after dusty and hot dry desert driving. It feels like it runs smoother each time I do the change. Highly recommended by many Prius folks on this website.

12. peter56

peter56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I've had plenty of success going to Queensboro Toyota located on Northern Boulevard,Queens. They'll change the transaxle fluid for you for about $170.00. Maintenance interval should be 30,000 miles when bought new and 60,000 miles thereafter. Glad to help. Pete

13. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Parkway Toyota in Englewood Cliffs, NJ charged me $150. to do the "dump and fill." I used a 15% coupon on their website so the total was $127.50. At the time they also had a $10. Duncan Donuts slide card given to me (my girlfriend loves Duncan Donuts). The place is immaculate and they did not try and upsell me on any additional services. I did this at 105,000 miles. Gave me a complete inspection report on my car including brake pad thickness. Vehicle was washed when I picked it up. About 2 miles from the GW bridge.

I too had called around to different Toyota dealerships: I also was told by one dealer that the transaxle oil did not need to be replaced, another quoted me $100. (but was farther away) and still another never called me back after leaving a message!

About two years ago I had gone to a different Toyota dealer when the vehicle had 85,000 miles and the "service writer" called to say that I needed brakes for $270. He made it sound like the vehicle was "unsafe" to drive. I declined his offer. Be wary of the "upsells."

14. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Took mine to a local auto repair shop with the washers, fluid, and long neck funnel ( I didn't want them using theirs), and instructions and pictures of how to do it. They charged $30.

Dino33ca and willchu like this.
  15. willchu

willchu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V

Which place quoted you $100? Have you tried looking for indie prius mechanics? Any that you can point out?

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Watch out for dealers that also recommend a power steering flush for your Prius. ;)

17. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    *sigh* I can't believe I have to put this in writing so here goes:

1)Put the car on ramps.
    2)Loosen the drain plug.
    3) Red fluid comes out; catch the fluid and dispose w/ used engine oil at Autozone or other similar.
    4) Re-tighten drain plug (no need to replace the washer).
    5) Re-fill w/ ATF-WS. $40 at the dealer (4 qts.). Funnel with long plastic tube.
    6) Drive like you stole it.

18. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I believe if you use this procedure you may get fluid sprayed everywhere as there is pressure buildup in the trans case. Bleeding off the pressure first by loosening the fill plug has been advised.

19. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius transaxle creates a vacuum, not pressure. It is a good idea on most gearboxes to remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. This provides a better vent to allow more complete draining and also prevents a situation where you can't get the fill plug out for whatever reason and the transmission has already been drained. If you remove the fill plug first, you still have the option of driving the car if there is a problem with either plug.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Problem with #1: car should be level for the fill.

Problem with #4: What the heck, replace them.

Problem with #6: Don't understand, LOL.