1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle oil leakeage, help!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AbuS3ood, Sep 20, 2010.

1. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all,
    i wanted to change the transaxle oil for my 06 prius with 93 k miles, i bought it used and the prev owner from kansas didnt change it, i found the old oil just like water and black like burned (hope that didnt effect anything !!!)

the change went easily but look what i found before the change, i found trans oil leakage seems to be from the one of the axes, sorry the pics are not good, please help me to solve that :(

Attached Files:

2. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks man, a mechanic friend of mine said the same, its the axle seal, but he told me its an easy to replace, he is experience with normal cars not hybrids, i noticed that the dealers in USA request more than 200$ labour fees???? is it that hard? or my friend is wrong? what is the expected time to replace it? any instructions and tips? or just get the wheel and its stuff of and remove the axes? because live in the middle east where toyota dealers knows nothing about the prius so i always do things my self following the PriusChat guys instructions.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since it is not easy to get Prius parts in your country, note that you will need a new axle nut as well as a new half shaft seal. I suggest that you inspect the front brakes while you are at it, and replace the disc pads and rotors if needed.

1 person likes this.
  5. AbuS3ood

AbuS3ood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    u r right partick about finding the parts, but sometimes i find the genuine parts in the toyota agency with prices less than your prices in USA :) but my problem is doing the job my self or by help of freinds, just to confirm, what i need is the O ring made of rubber ( 90311-95054 ) and the nut ( 90177-22001 )

btw i like ur membership description - DIY Enthusiast :-D

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I bought a replacement axle nut in December 2009 the part number was 90080-17238 and MSRP was US$6.57 (I paid $4.99.)

Regarding the half shaft seal that is pressed into the transaxle case, typically it is made up of an aluminum shell which contains a very thin rubber seal lining the interior. I don't know what the part number is, suggest you consult toyodiy.com to see what is listed there. Good luck.