1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle problem?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by evrandy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. evrandy

evrandy Electric Prius

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 03 will go about a mile and then loose drive power. Engine still runs but car does not move. Sit on the side of the road for a minute and all of a sudden the car sort of bumps forward (sort of like the bands on an automatic pulling in) and away we go again for another 1/2 mile and the same thing happens.
    Changed the tranny oil and it was really dirty and copper colored but this made no differance.
    Bad tranny?

Thanks
    Randy

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We really need the codes. Are you close to "Orangeboy?" He should have a Graham miniscanner next week. Perhaps you' all could do a little deal and read out the codes.

The ambiguity group includes:

• transaxle
    • inverter
    • inverter coolant loop
    • HV ECU
    You did check that the shifter indicator stays on "D" and doesn't slip into "N," right?

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Also, evrandy please confirm that the coolant for the electrical system is flowing properly when the car is 'ready'. Under the hood, see the coolant reservoir high and ner trhe center of the firewall. Towards the front of the car, the coolant should be circulating, obviously turbulent, and with a higher liquid level than towards the rear. If it is not so we can discuss how to correct that.

1 person likes this.
  4. evrandy

evrandy Electric Prius

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a new Innova 1403 scanner last week. ($300)
    No codes come up on the 03 that dies.
    On the 01 I get a 3002 which is HV ECM?
    I'm not planning on fixing the 01, its in rough shape.
    I'll check the coolant flow tomarrow in the daylight.

Thanks
    Randy

1 person likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3002 is Hybrid Vehicle ECU communication malfunction.

Was that 2001 in an accident? If yes, was the wiring harness damaged?

Regarding the 2003, since you cannot retrieve any DTC, what warning lights come on?

1 person likes this.
  6. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you Randy from CANEV? Could just be a coincidence.

Evrandy, I don't know if you know but the Prius has extra "information codes" that can't be read by just any scanner. That's why Bob suggested the Graham mini scanner which can read the codes but is no longer made. There is a PC based system called autoenginuity ($200US) that can read the codes with the addition of the Toyota upgrade ($150) If you bought the Innova sacnner for the Prius, I would seriously think about returning it for the autoenginuity. It's a bit more but on a Prius you are blind without those information codes. Plus you can use it as a data logger etc. I have no affiliation to the company.

I'd be happy to try to connect with you but it's two ferries each way and you know how $$$ they have become. We could meet in Horseshoe Bay but it would be cheaper and easier to mail it when I'm done. It would be up to Bob though because he is lending it to me.

1 person likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have no problem with this. I just need it sent back 90 days after arrival for the next home mechanic. The other alternative is Tom may be getting out of the car repair business. He might have a 'slightly used' scanner and adapter available for a reasonable price. Contact him and see if you can 'do a deal.'

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, the Ecrostech (Graham) miniscanner cannot retrieve the Toyota three-digit info codes. However it will retrieve DTC logged by the engine, hybrid vehicle, and traction battery ECUs which are the most likely to have a problem. Knowing the DTC will help you narrow down the problem.

1 person likes this.
  9. evrandy

evrandy Electric Prius

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes you caught me. EV's are my business and I'm going to convert one of these cars to a pure EV.
    I spent today cleaning up the 03 and its looks very good.
    If I can't easily solve its problems then it will be the donor car and the 01 will just be a parts car.

I looked at the coolant flow and it was very good.
    The warning triangle is on near the speedo as well as the car with exclamation mark in the energy flow screen.
    All cells were 14.7V but did not have help today to try the load test. I will have one of my guys help tomorrow and get some loaded numbers.
    I went out and backed up the road for about 1/4 mile and the car had good power in electric only.
    Looks like I should return the scanner in the morning.
    I have needed one for the last couple of years but the Prius is what made me finaly buy one but if it wont read the codes then its not much good.
    I will look at the autoenginuity and as long as it will do other vehciles it migh be the way to go.

I will have many questions over the next few months and hope to not become a pest.

Thanks
    Randy
    Canadian Electric Vehicles Ltd.

1 person likes this.
  10. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome Randy.

I thought that might be you. Sorry if I "outed" you.

I'm new here too. I wouldn't worry about becoming a pest. I think most people here like to help.

It's universal, but like most advanced units you need to upgrade to get special extras for the major brands.

Bob told me about someone who is turning a Prius into a full EV by welding up the power split device somehow and cutting up the ICE to keep it as a transaxle mount to make room for batteries and controllers. I guess they are disconnecting the inverter and mounting controllers. I suppose this bypasses the usual problems with hybrid error codes. Interesting stuff.

Do you have a link for it Bob?

1 person likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wasn't clear. The Prius EV conversion is my 'day dream' exercise. However, unless I can find a higher energy density battery technology, I'm not ready to give up on the hybrid ICE.

The other effort was someone in New England trying to transplant a Prius transaxle into a Honda Insight shell. The goal being to use the motor generators to drive the wheels. But the last time I looked at the web site was a couple of years ago. I tried to find it last week but no luck. FOUND IT:
    http://www.99mpg.com/Projectcars/evinsight/

You might also enjoy:
    http://www.99mpg.com/

If you can master driving MG1 and MG2, you could use the engine space for batteries and a controller.

As a suggestion, try to snag Toyota repair manuals and schematics. On Ebay they show up for ~$150. New they run over $300.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.