1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transfer unused service contract to new Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DickPhillips, May 18, 2011.

1. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After reading a few days ago about a member who has been offered a new 2011 in exchange for his 2010 plus $2000, I asked my local dealer about doing something similar. Right now the trade in price for used ones is higher than it has been so something similar may work. Also, in our case, my wife almost always gets zapped by static electricity when she gets out of our 2010 III with its cloth seats (I tell her that she is an Electrifying Woman but I don't think she likes the affect). In the hope that the leather seats of a Four model will solve that, plus the addition of butt warmers which aren't available on the cloth seats, we have ordered a new Four.

One question that I thought I'd ask here on the list relates to the extended warrantee or "service contract" as it was called on my paperwork. This doesn't start until the factory one expires. I've had my car less than two years and it has only about 16,000 miles so hasn't yet started into it. Can I transfer this so far unused contract to the new car and if so, will there be any charge to do so? If it can't be transferred, will it add anything to my trade in value (would it go to the new buyer of my car) or should I just cash it in?

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Regarding possible transfer of extended warranty to your new car, it seems to me the best way to answer this question would be to read the extended warranty contract you received.

Regarding transferability to a new owner, see above. ;)

3. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think a service contract transfers to a different car, but it may transfer to a different owner. Read the contract for details.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your "service contract"..."warranty"..."coverage", etc usually covers the car, not the driver. If it's transferable, it will transfer to the new owner, not the new car.
    This just one of several reasons why I always advise new car purchasers to eschew the factory extended warranty at the time of purchase when they buy their new car.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which side of the deal that you're on...) most people think that you can only buy the factory warranty at the time of purchase, and from the dealer. Both assumptions are almost always incorrect.
    In fact, I've received strident pleas from all of my vehicle's manufacturers (06,06,09,09) offering me "ooooone last chance" to avail myself of the chance to accept their OEM warranties at a discount.
    Also unfortunately (or fortunately) most people are unwilling or unable to cut a check for the warranty at the dealer (or later) and so they get sucked into paying a premium price for the extended warranty and they have the privilege of rolling the cost for same into their new car loan---thus paying an interest charge for the coverage.
    So.....
    If you decide to sell the car (you might get a few hundred in street cred for the xferable warranty----or maybe not) or if your car gets whacked by a teenager with a cell phone, or you get abducted by aliens, or whatever happens between time of purchase and the end of your OEM factory warranty... yer skrood! :)

There are always statistical outliers, but it's almost always better to wait and purchase the warranty later. This won't help much with the III, but it's something to think about when you're signing your life away for the IV.
    I'm not sure if the IV (and above) uses for-real leather or some 'leather-like' (pleather) substitute to cover their seats with....but I have my suspicions. ASK!!!
    I looked at a Volkswagon recently with "Leatherette" or "LeatherLux" or some other non-animal skin seat covering. ;)
    Be careful!

WRT the static problem: (we never have this problem on the Redneck Riviera!)
    There are spray applications that will reduce this effect on your cloth seats.
    There are also grounding devices that you can attach to your car to ameliorate this problem....one that I saw that looked promising was a ball and cable affair that you attach to the car's exterior.
    I don’t have any experience with either---but somebody who lives in the frozen North can probably offer a solution.

Good Luck!

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Extended warranties are win win for the dealer and Toyota.

For customer is lose lose

The calculated odds will always be against you in every category.

6. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I always spray a mixture of woolite and water (maybe 1 to 20+ish ratio) on all car seats I've had and it works for a good year. Smells weird but only for a day or so, let it vent out well. For my Prius I tried a clothing anti-static spray(Clingfree?) and so far no sparking in over four months. And the cloth seats did give me some zaps first of January before spraying.

(also do it on home carpeting to get rid of the doorknob sparks, or worse yet, the sink/water zaps)

I know you're going to be so dissappointed :rolleyes:, but no lecture on why you shouldn't buy the extended warranty, even though you already said you bought one. I am one of the Unsaved also. :p