1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transferable warranties

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jackie V, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Greetings all, I am about to purchase a 2007 Prius Touring #5. The vehicle was originally purchased in California and has made its way to Ohio. I will be the 3rd owner. The Prius is still below 70,000 miles.
    My Question, will the original California battery pack warranty of 10 yrs./ 150,000 miles still be honored?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. the first requirement is always that you must live in a CARB state, which OH is not.
    You would qualify for the 8-yr 100k miles so you are close to 8-yrs end point, depending on date the car went into service.

Jackie V likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may also want to verify all the service records to see if the mileage is indeed correct and nobody has turned back the odometer.

Jackie V likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...there was a recent article in Consumer Reports (not related to prius or hybrids) about a non-CARB state owner successfully contesting a CARB repair issue with another company, but no details were given to understand the case. Presumably the owner may have found some unclear warranty languauge and exploited it. But save for a unique legal challenge of some sort, your car must be registered in CARB state at the time of repair.

Jackie V likes this.
  5. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ...Thanks for the information. I've had 2 vin checks done..one was done from the bank. All comes up clean and clear. I'm still cruising the web for info. Should/Can one pursue extended warranties through Toyota dealers?

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In short...no not that I know of.
    Many of us who buy new skip the extended warranty due to the reliable nature of the car.
    The only thing I know of on a used car is the Toyota certified used which I think does give 1-year to the hybrid battery.
    But I don't know if Toyota even offers that on used cars that have gone past past the orig battery warranty.
    As far as I know there is nothing else that extends the warranty on expensive hybrid components.

#6 wjtracy, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    Jackie V likes this.
  7. Jackie V

Jackie V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Many Thanks*****