1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Translation fun

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Mar 20, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know it's an old one but I recently came across it again and it does make me laugh.

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | E-mail error ends up on road sign

In Wales all road signs have to be in English and Welsh. Welsh is spoken in many parts of Wales and almost exclusively in some parts.

(It is quite difficult to understand printed Welsh as despite using the same letters, the sounds can be completely different. Check out the following; [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_language]Welsh language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] )

2. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good one. :)

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In Queretaro, Mexico, there is a bar which had a sign, the entire three years I lived there, which read" "SORRY, WE'RE OPEN." Since it was a bar, and I don't like alcohol, I never stopped in to tell them their sign was off. Actually, since it was a bar, I thought it appropriate that they were apologizing for being open.

I admit, it's not as funny as the restaurant called "Server Translate Error."

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the late 80's, I wrote Honda's dealer to distributor software for North America. While doing the French version, the 7 members of my team spoke 11 languages, none of them French.

We got excellent translation help except in one Modem Menu where 'transmission speed' was translated into 'Gearbox selector', an honest mistake given the automotive background of the client.

No sooner did we deploy it than the dealers admitted they wanted Onscreen language and Printer Language to be separate toggles. Some large portion of Quebec spoke English, but was required by law to do all business in French. Version 2 had separate Choices. So far as I know, no one ever told it to show French onscreen but print English.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Our products, TechDocs and Training are required to have a French option for the same reason. The firmware for one of our devices has a language option allowing you to switch it to French. Since our development team only spoke English, not all the commands were in French that were in English. Most noticeably, the command to switch back from French to English.

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One time when a friend visited me at work, he watched me communicate with a computer operator. His comment was that we seemed to be communicating OK, but he had no idea what we said.

There is no translation for technobabel. :D