1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission burned out at 77,000 on Gen1

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by CBS, Oct 4, 2009.

1. CBS

CBS New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    :mad:The transmission on my 2001 Prius has burned out a 77,000 miles, and so is not under warranty. I've been told it will cost $5100 to replace. Has this happened to others? Any suggestions?

1 person likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Transaxle failure has happened to others. The $5K price seems right if you are having a new part installed at a Toyota dealer. You might call the Toyota Customer Experience Center to see whether they are willing to offer any financial assistance on the repair given your relatively low miles.

An alternative is to find a salvage part (on eBay, for example) and locate an independent mechanic willing to learn how to install that for you. However there's some risk that the salvage part may have a limited life.

1 person likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sorry CBS, first time poster with a big problem.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

seems to be the most complete listing, and right now the used transaxle assy. are offered for $950 to $2550. The work would be generally similar to transmission replacement on other small, transverse-engine cars.

It is definitely worth your effort to camp out at 800-331-4331 and see if they can be convinced to help with this. Good luck.

Edit: for others, we hope this will convince you to change the transaxle fluid on an appropriate schedule. It may not prevent failures but there is really nothing else we can do to try to make this part of the machine happy.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    CBS, sorry to hear about the tranny matter. This sounds like something that shouldn't happen with a Toyota with so few miles.

Is maint or use (mountain, dirt roads, etc) a possible factor?

Hope things work out OK for you.

1 person likes this.
  5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do we have any stats on failure rate for Classic owners who
    switched to using ATF-WS early enough in the car's life?
    _H*

1 person likes this.
  6. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it has more to do with pan and input filter not being cleaned when the fluid is changed....

but I do personally use WS on all Prius transaxles. See my other post about fluid servicing on Gen1 transaxles for the full story.