1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Computer

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by pamprius04, Jun 23, 2009.

1. pamprius04

pamprius04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Over past few months had problem with starting the car because it did not think it was in "Park" and would not go into "Ready" mode. Have replaced 12 volt as suggested here but last could not get it to start again and MFD read "not in Park, move to flat surface" etc. The vehicle was in the garage. Managed 12 hours later to get started but " ! " and car with " ! " on MFD so drove to dealership. Advised of 4 error codes indicating transmission computer needed to be replaced at a cost of nearly $800. Picked up car on Friday and seemed to be working fine until Sunday afternoon when this started again. Vehicle back at dealership where I believe they are scratching their heads. Cannot get codes to disappear. Anyone else encountered such a problem. Vehicle has 95k on it and I was surely hoping to not have to sink a large amount of money on keeping it going. Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Pam,

If you can identify and post the four DTC that would help. Thanks.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can you give the exact codes that the dealership read? That would help to narrow down the possibilities.

4. pamprius04

pamprius04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unfortunately the paperwork is in the car which is still at the dealership but off the top I think it was 5001, 2, 3 and 4. I can check with the servicer advisor tomorrow when he gets back. Thanks.

5. pamprius04

pamprius04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The paperwork is in the car which is still at the dealership. I can call the service advisor in the morning (off today) to request the codes but I thought they were 5001, 2, 3 and 4. Thanks.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Pam,

The format of a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is ANNNN where A is an alphabet character such as P (for powertrain), B (for body), or C (for chassis); while N is a hex character (either a number 0 through 9 or else letters A through F.) Once you get the complete codes we can comment.

7. pamprius04

pamprius04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry for the delay. The dealership has had the car since Monday a.m. and are no closer to knowing what it wrong. The codes aer C2300, 2304, 2305 and 2306. The service advisor said all the codes disappeared after replacing the transmission computer but the C2300 code is the one that reappeared and they cannot get to go off. I think any help that they can get would be appreciated. Thanks!

8. pamprius04

pamprius04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here are the codes which I also sent to Patrick. C2300, C2304, C2305 and C2306. All the codes went out last Friday when they replaced the transmisson computer but when I took it in on Monday with the same warning light the C2300 code had come back. The dealership has had the car since Monday and is no closer to knowing what it wrong. Thanks for any help.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Pam, the C2304,5,6 codes indicate a problem with the park mechanism that engages / disengages the park pawl (the thing that locks the transaxle in P). The manual says it can be a problem with the park motor, the wiring or the ECU. They are supposed to rule out wiring problems by going through the troubleshooting procedure; if all checks out, then they are supposed to replace the ECU (which they did).

I found a note which could explain the C2300 code; they cannot clear it using the scan tool - they are supposed to remove the PCon fuse to clear the code. Hopefully this is the problem.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. pamprius04

pamprius04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Many thanks. I will print this and send over to the dealership and see if that clears the problem. I am now debating on keeping the car or trading it since it seems to be expensive to fix and particularly when the dealership cannot seem to be able to handle the problem.