1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Flare on De-acc

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mark Paynter, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Mark Paynter

Mark Paynter New Member

7/13 Mill Rd, Campbelltown NSW, Australia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi Guys. Have a 2013m Prius C i-Tech, with just under 70,000 kms (43,000 miles). It's been very good, but recently have noticed the engine revs higher when de-accelerating. It's as if there is a disengagement of the transmission for a few seconds. This is a new phenomenon starting around 2 weeks ago. No fault lights and all other aspects OK. I do my own servicing as have a small workshop, but have only done oil & filter stuff. So then, has the transmission got a fault, or a software problem, or some other strange thing. I have been scouring the forums and the issue seems to be a loner. The only change in driving situations is that 3 months ago we moved to a new home in an estate, and it has a km or so of downhill driving at 15 kph (reality is usually 25kph) and there may be a problem with the adaptive learning of the transmission. However we have lived here for 3 months now, yet the problem has been only for 2 weeks. Great forum BTW

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

is this with foot off gas, or braking or both? any particular battery level? tough to diagnose without codes.

3. Mark Paynter

Mark Paynter New Member

7/13 Mill Rd, Campbelltown NSW, Australia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi Bisco... Seems to be only when coming off an acceleration phase, and not really related to braking, can be going over a hill, then lifting foot off accelerator, or after a quick goosing of the accelerator. Next I will scan with the GScan unit. And don't feel obliged to diagnose, as these things can be near impossible, but so much appreciate your input

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 just started doing the same thing about two weeks ago, and so did cipsaz187's 2012. I was speculating about temperature (it's been super cold here), but I bet super cold will not be the explanation in NSW. Has it been super hot, by any chance?

Maybe it's a time bomb. They were all secretly programmed to turn against us at the start of 2018.

-Chap

bisco likes this.
  5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I notice this when it's super hot and I'm rolling with the windows down. If I roll them up and turn on the AC, after a few minutes it stops.