1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission flud

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pepelily, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Pepelily

Pepelily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    im not really familiar with my 2009 prius i wanted to check transmission flud lavel but i dont see any stick no where to to that, does it have one? where is it.. also, the coolant container, there are 2, one at very front of car, lid says coolant, and another one un middle of engine on the right side, lid says DENSO, are they both for coolant? pls help thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The engine coolant reservoir is located behind the radiator. The inverter coolant reservoir is located next to the inverter. Both are filled with a pink fluid which is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. Do not use any other coolant.

The transaxle has no dipstick. When the transaxle ATF level needs to be checked, it is necessary to remove the fill plug on the side of the transaxle which faces the radiator, after the car has been elevated and is level. The fluid is supposed to be within 0 - 5 mm from the bottom of the fill hole. Toyota ATF WS is the correct fluid to be used.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a CVT transmission, it gets checked under the car basically like a manual transmission. If you don't see any leaks it should be ok. The 2 coolant bottles, 1 is for the ICE (gas engine), the other is for the inverter, so there is 2 seperate cooling systems. I forget which is which now.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I posted the same time as Patrick, he said it alot better than me LOL

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]

You open the Filler plug and be sure it is full. Be sure you on the right side of that seam.

6. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles on the car at this point? Many forum members are leaning towards ATF fluid changes by 60K miles if not sooner. If you're near that and really want to check the level, you might as well change it. Getting the car elevated but level, finding the fill hole, opening the fill hole - you're more than half way to done changing the fluid by then.

- D