1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Fluid and Engine Shaking Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GeorgeMW, May 16, 2018.

1. GeorgeMW

GeorgeMW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, guys, i need some tips from you, i have a gen 2, '06 prius, it has a little over 85k miles,
    firstly, should i change the transmission fluid? (I am pretty sure the fluid hasnt been changed as of yet).
    secondly, the temperature in my country is approx. 85 degrees Fahrenheit, the car has 45 mpg at this temperature, plus when the gas engine turns on or off, it has some "tremors", do you think the problem lies with the spark plugs, and should i change them?
    p.s. there are no warning lights on the dashboard.
    p.s. (2) thanks for your attention in advance

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) yes

2) probably not at 85k. maybe look at injector cleaning, throttle body/maf etc.

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Yes, About every 60k is what is generally recommended by the forum members here based on used oil analysis. Toyota calls this fluid "lifetime", but it should really be replaced at a regular interval. "Lifetime" is probably an okay title if you think the life of a car should be 150k miles.
    2. "Tremors" are a normal part of the idling process when the car transitions from stage 3 to stage 4 warm-up stages. Only Toyota knows exactly what the ECU is doing, but my guess is adjusting valve and ignition timing finding the boundary limits. This usually takes 5-20 seconds, after which the car engine gives a sharp "bump" and then enters stage 4. Once in stage 4 it will turn on and shut off the engine smoothly. See this for reference: http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt. Normal spark plug interval is every 120k; your plugs should be okay.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Updated your title to reflect your questions.

5. GeorgeMW

GeorgeMW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you all for your attention :)
    and thanks for editing my post to be easier to come by.
    anyway, is the mpg of 45.5 normal at this temperature? i thinks somewhat lower than normal...

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's within the normal range and pretty close to average. It depends on your driving style and traffic conditions. Lots of info in this section. Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy | PriusChat

7. GeorgeMW

GeorgeMW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the info, everyone!

jerrymildred likes this.