1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission fluid drain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pepelily, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Pepelily

Pepelily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi i bought
    My 2009 prius last month with 34800 miles on it from toyota dealer, and im wondering if i should go ahead and get the transmission fluid changed,, it is almost 36k now and dont know if i should wait a litle longer, they did some minor services prior to sell it at dealer but transmission flud is not listed.. Im sure car has still the original fluid thanks for your help

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would. It's a simple, preemptive service.

The main issue is dealership resistance: it's not in the US maintenance schedule. If there's more than one dealer in your area it makes an interesting excercise to see how they each respond to the request.

I changed our 3rd gen's at 15000~ kms, no qualms.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I changed mine at 60,000 miles. Toyota has concerns as it is a sealed unit, free of contaminants until someone opens it, but the fluid DOES breakdown over time. Whatever mileage you decide to do your fluid change, keep doing it, as now that you have opened the transaxle, the risk of contaminants is higher.

4. Pepelily

Pepelily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks a lot i will do it myself soon i just need to get a funnel with long house thanks

5. Pepelily

Pepelily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks i dont thing they did that service before selling it to me, i will try to get my tools en do it,, not a big deal, it is a very nice car and I do have lifetime transmission warranty on it but still i want to take care of it,, this service is not covered by warranty i guess but even if it was, toyota would refuse to do it at 36K

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I asked at 60,000 miles the service writer commented that it was not due yet, and I told him I wanted it. Later the mechanic came in and said it was not due yet, and I told him I wanted it. It was $109 at Kirk Toyota In Genada MS.

Be polite and firm. (ideally in 24,000 miles <G>)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, it did it myself as well, it's not that difficult.Things to consider:

1. Ideally, you should get replacement washers for the drain and fill bolts, find out the torque spec's and use a torque wrench. With 3rd gen both plugs are identical, needing 10mm hex (male), and the torque is 29 ft/lb for both. 2nd gen is a little different I think.

2. Take the fill plug out first, just to test the waters. You don't want to drain, and then find the fill plug stuck.

3. Because of the level check method, you should have the car raised and level, likely jackstands all around.

When I did the change my wife poured the ATF-WS fluid, and I guess I should have cautioned her to go slower when getting close to spec. amount: had to let it drip back out for a fair while.

And just to make sure, after a day's drive, I raised it again and took out the top plug to re-check level. It had not changed.