1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by newblue2, Jul 15, 2016.

1. newblue2

newblue2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The Toyota garage replaced the left and right halfshaft assemblies (axels) and now say that possibly some transmission fluid was lost, so I must bring the car in (again) so they can adjust the World Standard transmission fluid level. Is this common? I called another Toyota service place and they said such a minute amount would have been lost, and they wouldn't bother to check the level.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess it's worth a look, not a good idea to be driving with less than full. should only take a few minutes, why didn't they do it before giving it back to you?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whats not common is to NOT check the trans fluid before giving the car back to you. That's looney tunes. You could be driving around with really low fluid. News trans are expensive. Its impossible to measure how much is lost but some is lost as you are opening up the differential section of the trans.
    So...to check that all you have to do is open the fill bolt on the side of the transaxle and stick your finger in that fill hole and see if the fluid is at the top of the hole. if not you pour in fluid till it runs out of the fill hole. In fact not changing the trans fluid after replacing inner shafts is just bad business. The inner shafts are being replaced because there worn. When they are worn they wobble. When they wobble they tend to wobble around where the shaft splines meet the differential hypoid gear. Depending on how worn they are it could be major wear there and unless you change the fluid that wear medium (metal) is still in the fluid. Plus when you open the fluid dump bolt its got a magnetized end and captures all the wear medium alerting you to wear issues. So if you change the fluid and the dump bolt has alot of big pieces of metal on the magnet end you are then aware that I may have major issues soon down the road. A good thing to know. That and changing the trans fluid is a real good maintenance thing anyway especially for you because I'm guessing you have 200K plus miles on the car. I change mine about every 30K but now at 100K miles every 50K. Its cheap...its easy..and a real good bang for your piece of mind buck.

So yeah you need to find a better garage.

bisco likes this.
  4. newblue2

newblue2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks for the advice. And I'd thought they were good. : - ( I have 141,000. No garage here says they regularly change the trans fluid but guess I'd better insist or talk directly to the guys who do the work in the shop rather than the front desk.

5. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    " . . . No garage here says they regularly change the trans fluid . . . "

I've heard that from several mechanics. One said they recommend it only if there's been heavy duty use, like a taxi.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota doesn't recommend changing the fluid as preventative maintenance, so the dealers play along. ed's talking about your specific situation of changing the half shafts, although many here recommend changing the fluid regularly.

7. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't trust anyone to change the fluid "regularly." Especially the %#^+!! dealer service depts! So my original trans fluid will still be in there until the cows come home.... :D