1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission goes from reverse to neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by radio921, Jan 3, 2008.

1. radio921

radio921 New Member

In cold weather, 15 deg. and below my 2004 prius pops back into neutral when placed into reverse unless the lever is held into position. Locally they say no service reports of this. Anyone else have problem staying in reverse when car is cold. Once the car runs for 5 min or so alnd warms up then no problem.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The lever should always pop back to its starting position, no matter what the temperature. If the Prius is spontaneously shifting from reverse to neutral, then you have another problem. You might have an intermittent short in the shifter switch, which is exacerbated by the cold.

Tom

3. Aces

Aces Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's my experience with that. One morning recently, I put car into drive.. it pronply went into Neutral. After two tries, I put it into Reverse, same thing. Then I turned it off and on, same problem. The car doesn't even have 6,000 miles on it yet. Finally I figured out that I'd draped the power cord for my GPS across the shifter. And it was acting like a spring to move the shifter the the left enough to pop it into Neutral. :) boy did I feel dumb once I'd figured out what was causing it.