1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

transmission in Chicago, southside

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by kenworthey, Apr 18, 2005.

1. kenworthey

kenworthey New Member

I live in Hyde Park, and work downtown. My Prius seems to need a new transmission, and the car is currently at a downtown Toyota dealership I do not trust. Do you guys have any recommendations for dealerships, who really know what they are doing, and are honest?

Thanks!

2. kenworthey

kenworthey New Member

Has anyone had any experience with Toyota on Western?

3. kellyhalpern

kellyhalpern New Member

It has been over 12 years since I went to Toyota on Western. They used to have a great service department but I heard that changed. I looked them up on the BBB and they had a satisfactory rating. 4 complaints service related which they "assume" are resolved. My Prius is only 2 months old but I plan to take it to Elmhurst Toyota unless I receive some negative feedback.

4. kenworthey

kenworthey New Member

There's also the Oak Lawn Toyota in the south. But actually, I've decided to have it towed to Libertyville. Yes, this is 60 miles away from Hyde Park, but I am facing a multi-thousand dollar repair bill (with a used PSD plus labor, I will expect to pay about $2000). Libertyville is the only dealership in the Chicago area that people seem to consistently rave about, and I figure for a job this complex, it's worth it. But post any experience you have with Elmhurst! Because I won't be taking it back to Libertyville for routine or minor work once the eCVT is replaced. (That is, if I get the problem fixed at all. I haven't decided if it's worth it. To see the drama, check out the "8,500 transmission" thread in care&maintenance room.)

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kenworthy,
    Is your Prius a classic? How can you need a new transmission?

I am one of those people who rave about Libertyville. I can't speak for their mechnics and back-room staff, but their front-end staff usually spring to their feet when I need assistance.

If you head up North, let me know. Maybe we can grab lunch or a Starbucks.

6. kenworthey

kenworthey New Member

It is a Classic (by which I'm gathering we all mean a 2001-2003! It's a 2001.) And beats me how it can need a new transmission... for my tale of woe, read the care & maintenance, $8500 transmission?!? thread (which is up to $9150 with labor).

I will let you know if/when it ends up at Libertyville and would love to grab a coffee then! One thing is for certain: I'm not letting Grossinger do anything more to it.