1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Mode Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by unc69, Aug 6, 2011.

1. unc69

unc69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a bit embarrassing to ask but here goes - and I have only had my new 2011 Prius about two weeks. I have just over one thousand miles on it, most of which were on the interstate highway with cruise control on and the car in "ECO" mode. I understand that the three buttons on the center console let you choose: EV, ECO, or PWR mode. When I push any of these three buttons on the display that choice is confirmed by a lighted icon. So far simple enough for me - however, if NONE of those three choices is engaged and confirmed by a lighted icon on the display is there yet another "normal" choice that's not any of the three: EV, ECO, or PWR?
    I hope I asked that clearly enough for my question to make sense. As an example - I can push the "ECO" button and that choice is confirmed by the lighted "ECO" icon on the dash display. If i then push the "ECO" button again there is NO lighted icon on the dash display - does that indicate it is in a "normal" mode that has no dash display icon to indicate it is in that mode?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You were bold enough to ask the question and smart enough to figure it out, hardly embarrassing. That far more successful than many so-called journalists writing reviews... who assume 3 buttons means 3 modes.

You are quite correct. With nothing pressed, there is indeed a 4th mode known as "normal".

1 person likes this.
  3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PriusChat and enjoy your new Prius. When there is no icon displayed it's in the normal mode. I guess 1/2 way between pwr and econ. All it really does, from my understanding is regulate how "hard" it is to push on the accelerator. I think alot of people, myself included, just set it in econ. mode and forget about it. I just feels good seeing the econ. icon lit. LOL

1 person likes this.
  4. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome to PC. This is a common discussion here and there are quite a few threads here reguarding the driving modes. Try and use the Google search box in the top right hand corner, and you shall find many threads. I would also recommend reading your owners manual if you have not done so already.

Yes technically there are four driving modes with normal being the absence of the other three posable selections, EV, ECO, PWR. Your transmission has four gear selections also R, N, D, B.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2 people like this.