1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission oil change: 3 qts of ATF WS and $84...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ystasino, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My question is why did the only charge me for 3 quarts, at $12 each, if the system takes 4? Is it normal to have that much left? Took them 90 minutes to perform that and an oil change.

Currently at 42,000 miles.

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully a repair invoice mistake was made in your favor and the tech actually added 4 quarts of ATF WS.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    84 busks i s a great price tho!

4. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, out of curiosity, what happens if they used 3 quarts? Is the transmission under the 60 or the 96 month warranty period? Or would it depend on the type of DTC logged?

I'm not that worried, I doubt they would be that dumb. Even the service sales people seemed fairly knowledgeable and this is the only dealer that hasn't tried to sell me anything crazy yet. They've replaced the 12V battery for ~140, $84 for the transaxle oil change, $15 for oil and filter change labor (my oil) and immediately knew about both recalls. He wanted to take my floormats by backed off after I told him they were aftermarket. Only thing they have done to annoy me is changed my tire pressure to 32, which was promptly corrected.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would be bad, and the transaxle would start to produce noise and eventually fail. The failure might not log a DTC if it is mechanical in nature, such as a failed bearing.

The transaxle is covered under the 5 year /60K mile powertrain warranty.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is posible to check the fluid level and might be a good idea.

7. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    24 mm or 15/16" socket and 1/2" ratchet wrench, might need a cheater bar for improved leverage. Tightening torque is 29 ft.-lb.

You would need to raise up the front of the car and support with jackstands for access. If you have the right tools this is easy - if not then it would be quite difficult.

I'm guessing that if you had the right tools you would DIY rather than have the dealer do that work.

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Since the dealer did the fluid change at the first place maybe it's better to bring the car back and request the dealer to check it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. ^^ probably not the easiest job to start your diy career.

11. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The service representative replied by email that the 07 prius takes 3.2 quarts of ATF WS fluid.
    Is he right, and if not do you have/ is there an official Toyota service manual/ document I can attach in an email to him?

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the exact replacement volume will vary by how incomplete the drain was, and that will depend on drain time, ATF temperature, vehicle incline to name few variables. This is such an important question I would check myself.

OP: invest in the simple tools needed, and start your DIY career off right!

13. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So then, this guy was giving me a "stock number" and the only person who would know at any repair shop would be the actual technician who replaced it.

Not currently at a location to do DIY jobs, I'm starting to regret even doing this service.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, 4.0 US quarts.

Attached Files:

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't that info in the owners manual weights and capacities, etc.?

16. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. Please look again: the manual says 3.6 L or 3.8 US quarts or 3.2 Imperial quarts.

My source is the 2005 Prius Toyota repair manual. I've done the transaxle fluid change several times on a few 2G Prius and always use ~4 US quarts.

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I drained mine I estimated the refill volume about 3.6L (3.8 quarts). This was an estimate based on the amount I had remaining in my 4L container.

Some have speculated that 4.0 quarts is the "dry fill" volume and the 3.8 quarts is the typical refill volume for a well drained transmission. In any case it's definitely not 3.2 quarts.

20. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, yes I didn't update my post above until now because I was busy attaching .pdf files to the dealer.

I called him and he says the tech used 3.2 qts, that 3.2 qts fill it up at proper levels, that he asked the technician there and then and that technicians don't speak with customers.

I called Toyota Customer experience and they maintain that their technical information does not specify a range of fluid that can be left, before the newer fluid is added. It's up to the tech's discretion/dipstick. So 0.6 qts means nothing to them.

I got a case number 1102100753 in case my transaxle fails. My guess is that I'll replace the fluid in another 40000 miles to be certain. At this stage I think that the tech rushed the drain and only allowed for 3.2 quarts to be drained. That would leave 15% of the old fluid and contaminants in the transmission. I have done everything in my power to attend to this issue and have the dealer's and toyota's answer in writing.

I'm actually a scientist and understand the concept of washing contaminants only too well. If I told my supervisor that I could only wash 85% of the contaminants off she would fire me.