1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission overheating with code P

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DaveHasAPrius, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DaveHasAPrius

DaveHasAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks,

I have a very high mileage prius 2004. The transmission seem to be overheating and I think I do not have enough coolant, or a coolant leak? The mechanic said I needed a new transmission. Is this true? Will coolant fix this problem? The car started doing this when I was idling with the ac

The code is P0A43 in case you missed it. Check engine and red triangle come on, or vsc when the car doesn't work. All lights we're gone when I left mechanics today, and they came back on after I turned the car off and back on at the gas station. The pump worked fine, he said. Does the transmission need replaced?

I just looked at the coolant, it is below the low mark, from what I can tell. Will filling the coolant to the full mark fix the issue? Does this code mean correcting the fluid will or won't help?

I turned the car on again after it had been sitting off. I definitely suspect the coolant. I am going to grab coolant in thenmorning. When shining a light on the inverter coolant tank, you can't see any liquid above the thick part. Either the fluid drains and the mechanic didn't notice, he is blind, he's "shiesting" me, or he's right an I should suck it up. But I will find out tomorrow and have you all updated in less than 12 hours.

#1 DaveHasAPrius, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. It is possible for you to edit a post you've previously written, so that you don't need to write four separate posts as new thoughts occur to you. See the Edit button in the lower left corner of your post.

2. What is the odometer reading? When was the last time the coolant was replaced? The coolant service interval is at 50K mile intervals after the original coolant was replaced at 100K miles.

3. Why do you think the transaxle is overheating?

4. P0A43 is not a valid DTC. If the code is P0A40 or P0A41, there is a problem with the motor resolver circuit which would imply a fault in the transaxle, the hybrid vehicle ECU or the wiring harness connecting the two.

5. Obviously if the inverter/transaxle coolant level is low, it should be replenished. However that may not be the cause of the logged DTC. If the coolant needs to be replaced anyway, you could add some water right now to see what happens. If the transaxle needs to be replaced, use new coolant when the transaxle is installed. If the coolant needs to be replaced, then drain the old coolant and replenish with new.

6. I have written a post about how to replace the inverter coolant pump if you should decide that is part of the problem.
    How to Replace the Inverter Coolant Pump | PriusChat

#3 Patrick Wong, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  3. DaveHasAPrius

DaveHasAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your response Patrick. The mechanic tested the pump, it worked fine. I went to toyota and thy said same as you, the DTC is not a valid one. P0A93 would be a coolant level/inverter pump issue, so perhaps that is all the issue has been. I used a manual suction and SLLA/C, so I'm caving in next time the warning lights appear and having toyota do an inspection. I will let you know what codes pop up, I know it is not advisable but I am going to drive 80 miles if the warnin lights do not appear after a 20 mile drive and the car has been restart.

I think you are right to ask why I think the transaxle is overheating, seeing those fluids at or below the low mark, after I saw the mechanic add just a tiny bit, has me very suspicious. He never mentioned coolant, not once, just decided to add some, which is appreciated, except he did not add enough! He showed me the 7 transaxles they have, so now I believe I have been scammed OR have encountered human error OR there is a leak OR there a short circuit somewhere causing excessive overheating. I really hope these raised coolant levels help. Like I said I'm going to monitor the level of the coolant for the next few days very closely! Thank you for your and anyone else's help!

#3 DaveHasAPrius, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015