1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trash bucket for Prius front hump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tkeiser, Nov 14, 2004.

1. tkeiser

tkeiser New Member

Looking for a trash container that would stably reside on the front hump of the prius, just in front of the beverage holders. Used to be such buckets with side pouches filled with gravel or shot, but I haven't seen any in yrs. Does anyone know of an item that might do this?

2. ammiels

ammiels New Member

If you place anything there you will lose the bottom drawer in the console. I have been pleased with a small oblong bucket with grip-teeth on the bottom with a strip of male Velcro at the top post edge which holds it against the the seat bottom. This lives on the back hump. It is not in the way of back passengers and the front passengers can reach it easily. If this is confusing I can send JPEG.

3. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hung a plastic grocery bag from the storage door under the radio... seems to work good.. there is a pull out drawer under the cup holder that I put my camera in and with the trash bag there it hides the camera so I don't have to close the drawer...

Bob Andersen

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a nice cloth trashbag I picked up that has a velcro closure and some nice trim, it's black in color and has straps that secure it to the back of the passenger seat headrest. It's easy for me to reach from the driver's side.

You do realize that there really isn't much (?any) hump there in the middle right?

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

at a pl;ace called "the container store" I found what appears to be a large cup which fits in the cup holder to hold trash. I placed it into the rear cup holder so it is out of the way.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"50343)</div>
    I have to disagree. There is a hump, I think at least 6" high and wide and maybe a little more front to back. Putting a trash bucket there would block the lower console drawer, though I suppose you could move the trash to open it. Or, just use the drawer for a trash bucket. ;-) I guess I don't generate semi-permanent trash as I've never had a need for a bucket.

I wondered why there is a tunnel at all, though maybe the exhaust runs through it? I haven't looked. Definately larger than needed for gas lines and battery cables. Having no tunnel would make the rear seat more useful for 3 people.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"50564)</div>
    I have to disagree. There is a hump, I think at least 6" high and wide and maybe a little more front to back. Putting a trash bucket there would block the lower console drawer, though I suppose you could move the trash to open it. Or, just use the drawer for a trash bucket. ;-) I guess I don't generate semi-permanent trash as I've never had a need for a bucket.

I wondered why there is a tunnel at all, though maybe the exhaust runs through it? I haven't looked. Definately larger than needed for gas lines and battery cables. Having no tunnel would make the rear seat more useful for 3 people.[/b][/quote]

I'll be darned...it's pretty prominant too now that I look at it. Sorry folks.

Seems to me the easiest solution would be some sort of basket or small plastic container placed in that lower drawer.

8. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found a fabric trash bag with an elastic opening at the top and a velcro strip closure at the bottom so that the bottom can be opened up and emptied. There is a strap that can be fitted around the cup holder bar behind the console. When in place, the bag hangs down nicely when the cup holder is retracted but the cup holder can be lowered if your back seat passengers want it so. The trash bag is easily reached from any of the four seats and is out of sight from the front seat. I gave up on plastic grocery bags because they look ugly and often tear. I take plastic bags on long trips when I might be eating in the car.
    About the hump in the floor even though there isn't a transmission. There are cables and whatnot running under that from the battery in back to the motor in front. Another reason for the hump is to reinforce the floor to provide structural rigidity.
    B

10. ToothYoda

ToothYoda New Member

And where did you find this beauty?

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I noticed that there is a nicely flat vertical surface under the dash at the hump. I bet one could fashion a receptical of some sort and an attachment method. If it wasn't too big, it wouldn't interfer with the console drawer.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobA\";p=\"50335)</div>
    :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:

I swear -- it's been over 2 months since I got my Prius, and I'm still finding "hidden compartments" in this car!

I thought I'd found everything after the first week, but a friend found the sunglasses compartment near the cabin light switch when he was investigating the car. And now this... I love it!

Thank you, Bob! I'm actually going to put a plastic liner in the compartment you "discovered" for me, and turn that into the "litter bag" for the Prius.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"63791)</div>
    They are all described in the owners manual. Did you take the time to read it?

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"63811)</div>
    Time well spent, if you ask me. There are a few things I might have missed or forgotten, so I think I'll flip through it agian.

15. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I have one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/4p2es

Mine is not hung from the seat but I use the velcro stickon to hold it to
    the front center hump. Plenty of room for the drawer to open unless
    I have it really full. it tales very little room normally.

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

[/b][/quote]

Yes -- 5 months before my car arrived. As Tony says, I need to skim through it a second time.

I suspect that those who've run through the manual, cover to cover, even once, make up no more than 30% of the Prius owners out there.

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

[/b][/quote]

For Those Who Come After Me: The locations of "secret compartments" (with pictures) are all covered in section 2-10 of the manual. (Pages 190-191 and 195-196.)

What a Chinese Puzzle Box this car is! I had forgotten about the Aux Box in the left side of the trunk.
    [hr:15b0363ea4]
    I bet Jack Bauer would like this car. :mrgreen:

When he's being abducted for the 12th time this season, he just makes a casual gesture and pops open the sunglass compartment, dropping an automatic into his hand, allowing him to dispatch every terrorist in sight quickly and efficiently.

(Lucky for Jack, terrorists on 24 appears to be a lousy shot. Sort of like the indians in old John Wayne movies.)

18. jeepien

jeepien Member

I just found a nice little trash receptacle in a Strauss auto store. It is made of black nylon fabric and fashioned around a large spring, so it pops up into a cylindrical receptacle, but can be pushed down flat, and held closed with an integral elastic loop.

I usually don't generate a lot of trash while commuting, so it mostly stays folded, stored in the passenger seat back pocket, where I can reach it easily.

If I'm on a trip where lunch or snacks (and associated litter) are involved, I pop it open and stick it to floor on the flat hump in front of the console. It comes with a velcro fastener (both pieces) but the grabby piece sticks well enough to the carpet, so I tossed the other (fuzzy) piece in the kitchen junk drawer.

Sadly, I threw out the cardboard cover it came in, so I can't tell you the brand name or other info.

19. tara

tara New Member

:wink: I also went looking for one of those hump trash bags without sucess. I did find one that I can hang on the cup holder along the passenger side of the console. I also needed a place for my tissue box as I too often have allergy symptoms. I found a soft basket type container that is used for storing CD's and find that it fits perfectly on the hump between the console and the lower dash area. The CD holder is the same size as 2 of the cube boxes of tissue. I can still reach my drqwer if I want to lift the the basket out of the way and now my drawer is really a secret place to keep things that I don't need to get too often.
    Tara

20. jtowndog

jtowndog New Member

Looks like those type of trash buckets have disappeared much like curb feelers and steering wheel spinners.

Here are some close alternatives:

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/auto-tras...-container.html

http://www.familyonboard.com/car_trash_bags.html

Oh, and if you are interested in curb feelers:

http://www.shrunkenheads.com/Products/Car_...urb_Feelers.htm

and steering wheel spinners:

http://www.thehotrodgirl.com/suicideknobs.html

Here's one especially for us here at Prius Chat :mrgreen: :

http://www.shrunkenheads.com/Products/cart...=std&itemID=112

though I do have my personal preference:

http://www.shrunkenheads.com/Products/cart...=std&itemID=199