1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trashed by Terrorist Tire Tread!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by subarutoo, Jan 31, 2006.

1. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [attachmentid=2075]I got my Prius decals today, and my new car cover also came. Problem is, my car in in the body shop after 3 weeks and over 1100 miles of bliss. It was attacked last night by a killer truck tire tread on the 118 west freeway (LA), wiping out the RS fog light, cracking the lower bumper and trashing the plastic lower grill. The tread then wrapped around and got the passenger door. Now it looks like a mini NASCAR racer. The damage is $1600 minus my $500 deductable. One of its big brother Tundras cut across the lane in front of me and flipped the tread at 70mph +. It was headed about waist high and nosed nown at the last second to nail me. I guess it could have been worse. I've never had a car for so short of a time, liked it so much, and had it trashed so soon as this. I've bounced off several treads with my Eagle Talon and my Impreza, but they always polished out. this one left a mark! Beware the truck tire treads!! :blink: Thanks for listening to my vent. I needed that.

2. Howard

Howard New Member

Sorry to hear of your bad news. It hurts, but cars can be repaired and replaced. Just be glad you were not hurt.

I drive the 118 every day.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    The ONLY good thing I can think to say about that is that since the car is so new, there won't be any problem matching the paint. If it were older, you'd have some degree of paint fade.

Two months ago we had to have our rear bumper repaired and painted after being rear-ended. Slightly different from the original paint, depending on at what angle you look at it and in what light.

Then last week a kid opened their door HARD into our driver's door. The body shop says BOTH doors have to be painted, "blending" from the front edge of the driver's door through the repaired part (middle) to about 2/3 of the way back on the rear door! Why? Fade. Now I'll have 3 different "shades" of Millenium silver on a two-year-old car.

If we get hit again and have to have more paint, I'll sell it immediately (after the repair) and get a new one.