1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trashed Navigation ECU

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stuhillman, Jun 11, 2006.

1. stuhillman

stuhillman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just tried to install the Coastal Electronics Navigation Enhancement Kit on my 2004 (48K miles). I followed the instructions but, somehow, the darn thing trashed the Navigation ECU - or so the dealer says. Now they want $5000.00 for a new ECU! I know this was a stupid thing to do, but now I'm stuck as the ECU seems to control the entire audio system, smart key entry system and almost everything else.

Where can I get a new or used ECU at a better price? I found one on line at $3800 at a Toyota discount house and, maybe, a similar unit designed for the Lexus on E-Bay for $950 with a slightly different part number (mine is 86841-0E010) and the one on E-Bay was 86841-45010.

Any help would be appreciated.

By-the-way, I used to post as stuhillman2004, but forgot my username and password!

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

3. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Definitely try and contact Coastal.

Also try disconnecting the 12V battery (by unplugging the connectors) and then reconnecting, to force the ECU to reload its software, just in case that is the issue.

Another possibility is that the problem is simply a contact pin that fell out or isn't making contact properly.

Might also disconnect the Coastal kit and bring the vehicle into a different dealer. It's impossible to prove that the nav kit caused the problem, and in fact I would suspect that nav kit didn't cause the problem, so it may just be the dealer looking for a scapegoat.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make them clearly define what they mean by "trashed". Chances are
    good that they're blowing expensive smoke your way.
    _H*

5. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmorrowus @ Jun 12 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]270162[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this. Take the Prius with Nav kit removed to another dealer without mentioning the Nav kit at all and see what kind of response you get.

Send the Nav kit back to Coastal explaining what happened and get a refund or a replacement. Mine works great.

6. stuhillman

stuhillman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks for the input. I've already paid $100 for a diagnosis at my regular dealer. They told me the Nav ECU is completely inaccessible. I removed the Nav kit right away and did the battery disconnect trick to no avail before going, cap in hand, to the dealer. I'm also up against a deadline - need to sell the Prius before June 30 so that the new owner can buy it and register it in VA before the clean-fuel plates - and the ability to ride the HOV-3 lane goes away. This is a real pain in the buttsky. I'm assuming that the current ridiculous prices being asked for used Prii in this area will suddenly drop on July 1.

7. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stuartinho @ Jun 12 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]270251[/snapback]</div>
    Why? What are you assuming would change in the used Prius market on July 1?

8. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jun 12 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]270269[/snapback]</div>
    because folks are snapping up the prii before the june 30 deadline to get hov access in virginia.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so what are the actual symptoms of this problem?

NAV ECU doesn't tie in to all of that stuff. smartkey is completely independent of NAV ECU. the only tie in it has to the audio system is to the left front speaker. what else is going wrong here? what other systems?

there's something else going on there. DH has replaced NAV ECUs. and he's never seen anything that strange happen. is completel operation of the systems dead? any screen display left? anything? need more details.

10. stuhillman

stuhillman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I've lost: Navigation screen and all buttons on the right of the screen. I just get an "External System Not Connected" header, all SmartKey functions, all audio functions, garage door opener and automatic window up/down (this last two may be due to disconnecting the 12V battery to see if the system would reboot). The AC and Information screens are OK and functioning except every time I start the car the MPG and mileage reset to 0.0 and the gas guage starts at one square and moves upwards just as though I had just filled the tank or hit the RESET button

The driver's door will only lock/unlock with the metal key and the other doors and hatchback can only be unlocked using the driver's door switch with the ignition on.

I talked to Kelly at Coastal today and, despite some of the bad press they have been receiving, she was very helpful promising to put a tech on-line as soon as I have time to get in the car during the time they are open for business. I'll probably do that this Friday if the body-shop finishes fixing a minor problem (don't ask).

Another strange thing - the VSC light is on. During the $100 diagnosis the dealer says one of wheel speed sensors is bad (replace under warranty) and it's just a coincidence that it happened at this time. Well James Bond never believed in coincidence and neither do I.

I'm reluctant to just accept the dealer diagnosis - especially since it's going to cost up to $5K - because, like you, I don't see the connection with the NAV system for all the problems. Kelly asked me to completely disconnect the NAV device under the seat and let her know if some of the other functions come back on line. I'll do that as soon as I can get my hands on my trusty Prius.

Regards, Stu.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so you can't get to any of the map screens, or anything associated with NAV. do the energy/consumption screens work?

check the wiring connections in the back of the display
    check the wiring harness in the back of the NAV ECU, make sure it's plugged in
    have you checked the SKS on/off switch below the steering wheel? so the wireless remote doesn't work? if it does, does the buzzer/headlight flash work?
    do the power outlets have current when the car is on?
    NAV ECU does tie to wheel speed sensors...

that's it for now... he's gonna do some digging in the EWD.

edit: some more.

do ALL the power locks work? i see the hatch unlocks with the driver's door switch
    does cruise control work?
    also check-
    wipers, front and back
    dome lights
    glovebox light
    clock
    seatbelt beep
    speedo display
    horn
    rear defogger
    he's trying to sort out the fuses that might be involved.

things to check that sound like they could be the cause of something like this:

go to the engine room junction block and check the 4th fuse down from the very top right (looking from the front of the car).
    in the driver's side j/b. this is located under the driver's side dash under a little plastic cover panel, it has a white and blue sticker on it. a 10A gauge fuse, and a 7.5A ECU-IG fuse. check both of those too.
    a broad spectrum failure tends to be something like a fuse connecting all systems or some kind of connector unplugged.

could you describe the NAV kit install instructions and what wires you're working with? not familiar with the kit. are you on the driver's side of the MFD? there's a ground point there that may be related as well. it's on the driver's side, inside the dash, about even with the hinged part of the dash pocket, but straight back. it'll be an eyelet that's bolted to something metal. make sure that's connected right.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something just ain't adding up here. The "nav enhancement" would have had to be installed really really wrong to do anything like this.

I suggest taking the car to a totally different dealer, cold-call kinda thing and just say it started acting this way (yes, leave out the NAV enhancement stuff for now). Let them see what they find and say.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 16 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]272544[/snapback]</div>
    Apparantly there are two versions. The one without BT connects to the NAV unit. You can see a picture of it here. You disconnect two connectors, plug this in and then plug the other end to the kit.

The other version has the BT override and I believe connects up at the MFD. Which version are we talking about?

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh, many thanks, aaf :) that was helpful!

stu, check to make sure all those connections on the kit are nice and tight too.

if none of this works, let us know.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Check your fuses.

The car will operate normally if one were to completely disconnect the NAV, other than missing sound from the lower driver door speaker, and of course getting no NAV functions and a few extra stuff the NAV provides. It communicates with the display, radio, and JBL amp through a network so a short in the network would cause these devices to fail. The display gets its information relating to the rest of the car through a gateway, so the rest of the car is isolated if the AVC has a problem. The gas guage is on the body network (BEAN).

I also agree the SKS problem may be that you bumped the SKS kill switch under the steering wheel.

16. stuhillman

stuhillman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, thanks to the collective expertise of the Prius Chat cognoscenti the problem is solved. Almost every response had an element of the problem nailed. When I installed the Nav kit, I must have bobbled the connection in some way that blew fuse number 39 (in the under-hood box). All the skill of the Stafford Toyota technicians and the tens of thousands of dollars in diagnostic equipment couldn't find a blown fuse! Instead they told me I needed $6K worth of parts and labor - including a faulty wheel speed sensor that just happened to go wrong at the same time. The new fuse cured that too.

I took the driver's seat out to give better access to the connections, checked each wire to see if one had come out of the plug or broken. Assuming the small plug with the red and black wires was probably (one of) the power inputs and discovered no broken wires and no DC voltage on the plug. I checked the fuse allocation chart in the handbook and zoned in on #39 as the one that had audio, clock, SmartKey etc. allocated to it. It looked good to my 65 year-old eyes but a check with the continuity meter showed that it was blown. I replaced the fuse with one of the spare ones in the box and, bingo, everything came back on-line.

My wife didn't know that I new so many expletives in multiple languages!

What's the answer here? How can we not give in to the incompetence of the mechanics that work on our cars? They overfill the oil pan setting their equipment to 4 litres instead of the required 3.6. Leave grease marks everywhere, pour oil down the side of the engine. In one case they put a greasy object on the passenger seat and had to replace the seat cover for me. Here, they ordered the "wrong" part four times (there are only four options: beige, grey, right or left) until I took the car there, left it in front of their best sales slot and told them if they didn't fix it it would call my lawyer - then it got done. When they did that, the mechanic broke the plastic cover on the side of the seat. It took them two tries to order the correct part for that one (two options: right and left) and I fitted that one myself.

Toyota build a remarkable car - mine has been flawless for 48K miles. Even the computer equipment can take a lot of abuse from idiots and still come back healthy. But, every time the company is let down by the incompetence and lousy management of their dealers. I suppose this could be laid a Toyota's door too but I would like to see how their dealer networks work in Japan, for example. I'm biased but I bet they don't have the same kind of problems there.

I've told the dealer that I want my $100 diagnostic fee back - and I think they will agree when I get to talk to the service manager but I now have a $3,885 Nav ECU bought from a discount parts dealer in Michigan (Metro Toyota, 800-581-3033, very good mail order service) that specifies no return on electronic parts or a 20% restocking fee. I'll talk to Metro tomorrow but they are under no obligation to give me a break on taking it back.

If they won't take it back I guess I'll try to sell it on E-Bay although I think my dealer should buy it from me - fat chance, eh? Unless any of you guys want it?

Thanks for all the help. Stu Hillman.

17. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stuartinho @ Jun 18 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]272998[/snapback]</div>
    The answer here is to FIRE them as your service department and go elsewhere and let everyone know about it, as you are already doing.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, sounds like you've got a bad dealer on your hands.

ask around, find out who the good mechanics are, and once you find one have him and only him work on your car. it's the best defense against slop jobs- know who's under your hood.

anyway, since they told you there was something wrong with a system that was perfectly fine, since they weren't even close to being right, fight to get all your diag fee back.

this isn't the first bad report i've heard from NoVa. good luck :)

19. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

I see you are from Northern VA, what dealer are you using? Hope it isn't mine! If it is I'll find another.

20. stuhillman

stuhillman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkusnetz @ Jun 18 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]273208[/snapback]</div>
    Stafford Toyota (Rosner Toyota) on route 610 just off Hwy 95.