1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traveling the Americas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mjd74, Jun 12, 2007.

1. mjd74

mjd74 New Member

My best friend was in an awful accident (lost both of his legs and is on the road to recovery.

He has decided that in a year from now when he is done with rehab he is going to drive from Canada to Argentina. I have him sold on doing it with a Prius, the real question is, where would you love to see a picture of a prius in all of the Americas?

He is going to be filming his entire trip as well

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    What a great trip! OK, some ideas:

Prius pic anytime there is a volcano in the background. The more venting smoke or snow, the better.

Crossing the Panama canal bridge.

? How are drivers crossing the Darien gap these days?

In south am, I have no experience. But someone must confirm that leaded gasoline is not sold in any of the countries. It would be a Prius-killer.

I think there are some links about fitting hand-controls to Prius.

Hope to hear more about this voyage!

3. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

Cool! I second the panama canal suggestion. There will be plenty of spectacular mountain backdrops along that route as well.

Won't that mean going trough some dangerous parts of Colombia though?

4. cyrus69

cyrus69 New Member

Ground clearance could be an issue, some of the roads are really rough. I did the trip mostly by bus, about 15 years ago. Parts and service might be a problems too, since I don't know if the Prius is sold down there. Sounds like a great adventure, and it would be really cool to do it in a Prius though. People I met driving down there has Land Rovers, they were probably going off the beaten track though. Venezuela has some of the cheapest gas in the world, at least that's what I heard recently. I knew someone that rode an enduro motorcycle to Uruguay, he had to put it on a boat, to go around the Darien gap.

5. mjd74

mjd74 New Member

How would one go about getting sponsorship for a trip like this?