1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TRD oil filter quality concerns

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by working1, Apr 1, 2013.

1. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use the TRD oil filter (PTR43-52090) and notice the filters have a "rough" area on the outside. It's some type of wire mesh that varies from filter to filter how much is exposed. Some have a sharp edge to the touch. I'm assuming the oil flow direction is from the outside -> inside and if something detached in this area it would not enter the engine. Anyone else seeing this and is it a concern?

SAM_1465.JPG SAM_1466.JPG SAM_1467.JPG SAM_1468.JPG SAM_1469.JPG

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not a problem.
    Mine look very similar the the one pictured third from the left in your top photo.
    Nothing to worry about....

3. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the oil flow direction is from the outside to the inside of the filter media (it exits from the center hole).

During manufacturing, it looks like the media is sewn together along this one pleat, so it forms a seam.

Only Filter #3 looks OK. In the first photograph, Filter #1 has torn media. In the second photograph, Filter #2 has a small vertical tear. In the third photograph, it looks like there is a small hole at the top of Filter #4.

I've previously returned a TRD oil filter where there was a vertical gap along the seam. If you see any tears, holes, or gaps in the media, then the filter has been compromised. I wouldn't use it in your engine. Return it for a refund.