1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TRD Sportivo shocks and springs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Presto, May 26, 2006.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow.. it felt like Christmas when I got home today. My sister said the UPS guy came by and dropped off 2 big packages. I let out a resounding, "YES!" since I knew it was my suspension arriving finally. I happily ripped open the box to find my new, shiny TRD springs and shocks. I want to install them now, but I'll have to wait till Monday to bring it into the performance shop for my appointment. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

I'll post the results in handling difference after I take it for a ride on Monday afternoon. I am pretty darn stoked to see how these affect the handling characteristics. I should be getting Tom's front, upper and lower brace sometime next week, so maybe it'll be Christmas again next Friday :)

Props to Carson Toyota for their excellent service!

UPDATE: Before and after picture (i tried to find the closest angle)
    [​IMG]

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Presto-
    I am probably as excited as you about your new suspension!

PLEASE when you remove the old shocks/struts, if possible take a picture of them next to their replacement shock, showing the difference in the shock/strut shaft (the shiny part that goes in and out of the shock body) as well as a measurement of the new shafts and the old shafts. Maybe total length of the shock collapsed and completely open too.

I am really interested in seeing if this an actual heavy duty shock/strut because I need to tighten my suspension up. Also, please take pictures of the springs next to each other. I would love to know how much your car is lowered with the new springs. Finally, once installed, any alignment issues.

You are to be congratulated for purchasing this set. Finally, If I could ask the total cost of parts and the length of time you had to wait to get the kit as well as what the installer charged to make the changes.

Thanks and good luck with your new kit. Cairo94507

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Fantastic! It's also great you're getting these before any further suspension modification so we get to incrementally see how just these affect handling vs everything at once.

4. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cairo,

I can't guarantee that i'll get a side by side shot of the TRD and stock shocks and springs, but I can at least get another shot of the TRD equipment with a ruler next to it for scale, and then take another shot of the stock equipment with the same scale. It'll depend on the shop, if they'll let me take some of their time to do this.

The springs and shocks were $990 USD from Carson Toyota (http://www.newtoyotaparts.com), and it took about 7 or 8 weeks to get here since they had to be shipped from Japan. That was a grueling 7 weeks hehe. I was going to get this installed at the dealership, but they wanted $700 CDN for the install. Instead, i'm taking it to a highly rated, local import performance shop which will install it for $150 CDN. Not sure if I'll need an alignment, but that shouldn't be too much more. I'm glad the rest of the suspension pieces are coming a bit later. That should give me time to just see what the TRD shocks and springs do to my handling.

Less than 24 hours to go until my install appointment. I have the day off tommorow, so I'll take the car up to the mountain and see how it handles the switchbacks. Can't wait!

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Congrats. Mine should be getting here any day now!! Can't wait.

Make sure you post pics and results ASAP!

6. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sportivo installed!

The car is a little lower, but not much. Most importantly, though, is the car handles noticebly better. Body roll has been cut down even further. The car feels alot more neutral in turns and all 4 corners are firmly on the ground throughout the turn. It is definitely more grippy on the sharp turns i usually take on my commute. The bumps are more noticeable due to the increased stiffness, but it's not uncomfortably bumpy.

For cheap handling upgrade, I woud go with the BT Stiffenning plate as that gives an immediate, quick improvement. The Sportivo is a significant upgrade both in price and effect, but it's characteristics are more subtle. If you like hard corners, then the Sportivo is definitely for you.

I took some pics, but I can't post em now as I'm at work. I wasn't able to get side by side shot comparisons, but looking at my stock shocks and springs they look the same.

7. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 26 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]261545[/snapback]</div>
    Don't pay someone else to do it, do it yourself!

BTW, it doesn't look like the strut mount holes are slotted - the shop will have to either have to slot the holes or have all the Toyota strut bolts in stock to be able to get the camber back in spec.

Edit: Ask them what they had to do to get the camber back in spec, I'm curious. With the Modellista springs and stock struts, the local shop doing the alignment had to slot the passenger front strut, but not the driver's side. I got a lifetime alignment at Tires Plus, as I may mess with the suspension more, and won't have to pay anything more in the future to get it set again.

8. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would've done it myself, but i don't have the tools available for a shock/spring changing session. I'll be able to do the Tom's stuff myself since that mostly seems like a bolt-on job.

The TRD kit came with it's own bolts. I'm not sure if it needs an alignment. There's no detectable camber and the steering doesn't feel any diferent and there is no tracking. I'm going back to the shop again in a few days, so i'll ask them about an alignment.

9. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 30 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]262967[/snapback]</div>
    OK, they might have included "the right ones" to get it back within spec.

However, after any major suspension change, you should always, always, ALWAYS get an alignment.

My car felt fine, drove great, but the passenger front was WAY out of spec in camber. Everything else wasn't too bad, but if I had continued driving it that way, I would have been replacing tires soon.

If you have a Tires Plus near you, check out their lifetime alignment for about $150 - it's well worth it over the life of the car.

10. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My stock Goodyear tires are at the end of their life. They are pretty shredded after 40,000km. I'll see about getting a package deal for new tires and an alignment. There's no Tires Plus around here so no lifetime alignment for me.

Today was my first commute to and from work with the new suspension. The difference is very noticeable now. The road that I was familiar with announced it's subtle terrain of ruts and grooves, meanwhile, the car didn't wander or get sucked into any deep grooves. The way the Prius stayed firmly planted around turns was awesome. I can hear my tires cry out for mercy. :)

11. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Before and After pics added!

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't Costco offer lifetime balance and rotation? What about Kal-Tire (formerly Sears).

Did you try it in the rain tonight? Gosh it's pouring like there's no tomorrow!

13. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 1 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]264522[/snapback]</div>
    I've discovered the shops that advertise lifetime balance&rotation (Costco, America's Tire Co., etc etc) is not the same thing as an actual alignment.

Cool pics! The Prius looks mostly the same except it seems to ride lower on the tires. Do you think the springs/shocks made/will make a bigger difference in handling than anything else you've tried?

14. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks! I am still looking forward to the Tom's front suspension braces so I only have the BT Stiffening plate and the Sportivo. Bang for the buck, the BT stiffening plate is the first step to go. It was $160 well spent. The difference in the car's curve handling capability was instantly realized. The Sportivo took it to the next level. If you're a handling freak, it is worth the $1000 investment.

Tideland, it hasn't rained since Monday so the roads were extra slick. However, once the roads get rained on some more, I should be able to get better traction. My tires are toast, though. Next on the todo list are tires and alignment!

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh.. maybe it's lighter over on your side but it was literally like a tropical rainstorm on this side. The roads had.. oh a couple of cm of water.

I thought the back was lowered b/c of the amps and other stuff he had in the back, under the floor lol.

16. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The back IS a bit lower than the front. I'm pretty sure it's my 75 pounds of stereo equipment as the back was noticebly lower than the front even before the Sportivo. The extra bit of lowering in the front helps to even it out a bit. It was wet on the roads today and other than the slippage from balding tires, it was a good ride. No matter the turn, the Sportivo upgrade shines through each time.

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The car looks GREAT Daniel!! How much lower is the back of the car vs the front? Generally speaking you really want the front to be a bit lower for better aerodynamic characteristics and handling at higher speeds.

If it is less than 1/4" I would not sweat it and just enjoy your new found handling!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 2 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]264624[/snapback]</div>

18. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 2 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]264624[/snapback]</div>
    So how how cumulatively lower has the Prius gotten from your original stock? Or it's just the usual advice of just be careful around speed-bumps, and road dips?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 2 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]264624[/snapback]</div>
    I hope you get those tires changed asap before they get you into an accident and wasting the Sportivos. :)

Meantime, besides turns handling, has your stability (road wiggling) improved any? So it was ~$1140 total for parts and install? Did you have to bring any instruction manuals to your performance shop, or they already knew how to tear down Prius to get to the OEM shocks/springs?

I've already budgeted for my own set for the year so any info really helps me decide. :) Thanks!

19. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 2 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]264835[/snapback]</div>
    No need to print out the manuals, though you can if you want. Print the VFAQ I built for strut/spring swaps, and print out the alignment specs for the shop, and they should have all they need to do it. Trivial for any shop to do.

If I ever decide to get the TRD setup, I'll probably move the 06 struts and Modellista springs over to my wife's 04 once I have the TRD in place on the 06, to vastly improve the 04 handling (with 40K on it, the suspension definitely jars more and feels looser than the 06 did stock, and the 04 did new).

20. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 2 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]264835[/snapback]</div>

No problems with any bumps. The suspension is stiffer and it takes some effort to scrape the bottom of the car. The usual speedbump that I take out of the parking lot at work would usually cause me to bottom-out if I go over to quickly. Sportivo won't even scrape a bit when I go a bit faster off that bump.

Road handling has improved. The bumps in the road are more noticeable, but not to the point of being uncomfortable. The stock suspension felt somewhat disconnected, like there was a response delay to what was happening and what you felt. Like Talont's recommends, though, get new tires if you're still rolling on tock. The sidewalls of the GoodYear's are weaksauce. All the usual turns that I am familiar with have undergone a night/day difference with the Sportivos.

I'm sure the shop I went to has done many shock/spring installations, but I still gave them the instructions that came with the set in case they needed some specs.

Going on a roadtrip to Whistler this weekend, can't wait to hit those sharp mountain roads:)