1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TRD Sportivo Suspension Kit - Price to Install?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by adamorzol, Jun 1, 2007.

1. adamorzol

adamorzol New Member

I just received my TRD Sportivo Suspension Kit. Local Toyota dealers in Phoenix, AZ want $700 to install. Some Toyota dealers won't even do it for me! The kit itself costs $1000. So a good amount of the cost on the kit is the labor to install it. The best price I found was $600 at Carson Toyota in California (but I don't live in California). So buyer beware.... this kit is recommended but unless you install it yourself, plan to spend around $1700 for it. OUCH!

The dealers claims the book time on the install is 7.4 hours of labor, hense the high cost to install.

What have others paid to have this installed by an official Toyota Dealership (to maintain warranty aspects)?

I get them installed on Friday and can't wait!

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dealership wanted $700. My local performance shop did it for $150 in less than 3 hours. I went with the performance shop. I bought Tom's rear brace with the money I saved:). I don't see how this would mess up any of my warranty going to another shop or doing this myself.

3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 1 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]453277[/snapback]</div>
    So Presto,
    How would you rate the upgrade for moderate driving? After a BT Tech Plate, and a good alignment, do you think the kit or Tom's Brace would improve handling alot for a guy that likes to preserve his tires, but does enjoy going a little fast?

(WARNING - Potential thread exploder) I was much happier with my car with the BT Plate!
    But I did notice a little bit of the sway returned when I added two more passengers in the back seat.
    In my own mind, after reading that the rear suspension was some sort of trailing type design, I thought a rear sway bar would be in order.

It is OK if you want to tell me to search the threads, because admitedly, I am being lazy right now.

4. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the TRD installed after the BT plate. The TRD was more subtle than the BT plate. While the change was super obvious with the plate (ie harder turning capability), the TRD was noticeable, but not as obvious, at first. After driving on the TRDs for a bit more, I noticed a lot of the finer nuances, like the ride quality, the pitch of the car in turns, and a more planted feeling. The more I drove on the TRDs, the more I loved it.

Prior to upgrading to the TRDs, my front tires were being worn a lot faster on the outer edge due to every corner taken hard. TRDs probably helped with a more even wear, but I think the front lower brace was what really eliminated the outer-edge wear. Keep in mind, when I drive the Prius hard, it is driven at the edge (sometimes a little beyond) of traction.

I'm hoping to get my rear brace installed this evening so I can be ready for tomorrow's ride to my favorite twisty road.

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had mine installed with a 4 wheel alignment included for $390 at Big O Tire in Dublin in the SF Bay Area, CA. The dealer wanted $800 plus an alignment for $100! It is a straight forward swap and I have no idea why a Toyota dealer would refuse to install Toyota parts....I would be writing a letter to customer relations at Toyota.

6. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^

I don't think Toyota would refuse to install parts. It's just that you have to pay an arm and a leg, and sometimes your left ear, for labor.