1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TRD Springs usefull for European High Speed Autobahn driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Europe Amsterdam Area, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi everyone,
    Here my first post. I m from the Netherlands (Amsterdam Area). I drive a black 2010 Prius Dynamic. My first post is about the too smooth ride of my Prius: I used to drive more sporty cars but due to tax preferences I now drive a Prius. Nice car but it has not a nice spring/ shock combination at all......

Explanation:in the Netherlands and Germany we have the so called Autobahn: its a highspeed highway with NO speedlimits at al!! So you will understand my average speed is mostly above 140 km/h (sometimes just because I feel to drive fast but mostly just to not be an dangerous obstacle for the fast BMW's Audi's and Porsches...they fly-by with speeds up to 230 km/h).
    The problem is that the Prius can drive these speeds (140km/h) easily but it is very wobly at these speeds (and with a little wind from the side its not nice to drive at all) even with 215/45/17 tires. So I m going to lower the car. As I think now, with TRD springs.
    It seems in the US you have a lot more OEM Prius tuning parts. Like the TRD springs etc. In Europe the dealer can't deliver those components so I'm going to try to order those parts in het US and get them shipped to Europe. Maybe Camelback can help me. Camelback, do you ship to Europe?
    But before I order the Trd Parts,I have some questions, maybe one of you out there knows the answer.
    1) I see they sell TRD springs (PTR0747100) : But how is the ride? Stable enough? And is TRD a relabled Eibach spring?
    2) They sell also a rear swaybar kit (PTR 11-47010) . Can anyone tell me if you can feel the difference with a swaybar when you drive high speed in a straight line? My opinion is that a swaybar makes a difference but only when you're drive on the edge (on a track). In other words: would a swaybar be usefull for European highspeed, straight forward driving conditions or can I do without them?
    Hope anyone could help me.
    Greetings from The Netherlands

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    TRD is a Toyota division. As far as I know all their parts are made specifically for Toyota.
    The 2010 Prius was deficient in the chassis cross-member strength and the Gen III was modified in later years. I suggest you look into the front and mid cross-members that Rude person's sells on Ebay. They help with the stability problems with cross winds.

The TRD rear swaybar changes the dynamics of the car from the heavy under steer that Toyota puts into their cars to a more neutral European sports sedan feel.

I put the above on my 2010 and didn't need to lower the car with new springs.

#2 xpcman, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thank you xpcman!
    I didn't know about the cross-member thing.
    I'm going to check this out.

4. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    H&R do springs for the Prius and they can be bought locally. They are excellent, however, not cheap

H&R - DAS FAHRWERK

Parts catalogue

Might be worth doing the cross member first and see how it goes

Welcome to Priuschat too btw!

5. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hi Tony D,

I know about H&R but I thought maybe the TRD's are better because they 're original Toyota parts.
    My previous cars had Eibach springs: also great.
    I m going to get information about the cross members.
    Thanks

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The front brace can be found here:

It looks like Rude person's doesn't sell is mid brace anymore. There is someone from China selling the mid-brace on Ebay.

7. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I was going to jump the gun and purchase TRD springs for my Prius since I thought they would be perfectly matched to the car; due to the fact they are spec'd by Toyota. However, I heard that Tanabe NF210's are way better for the Prius compared to the TRD springs. A few members have swapped out their TRD springs for Tanabe springs and would never turn back.

Hope this helps! There are better products out there for the same price, if not cheaper than TRD springs.

8. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Reading all your replys and treats about springs and braces to improve the ride learns it is not easy to choose between al available products. I think its no good for Toyota to create such a great car with such bad stability...... Toyota can learn a lot from other marks I think. My car before the Prius was a Volvo V 50, its ride was almost perfect, but quality was not good.

9. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Well it looks like if someone is serious about improving the handling of the car, be prepared to spend some money!

The joy is seeing the difference that each little item changes the characteristics of the car. Perhaps you can start out small? You already have 17 inch wheels with low profile tires I am assuming - that is a great start already. My plan of attack would be to buy the chassis stiffeners first, and sway bars. Those are cheap are will make little differences you can feel. Then if you are still not happy with the feel on the autobahn, move on to the spring / shocks of the car.

xpcman likes this.
  10. DAFTEK

DAFTEK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have driven the autobahn and crossed Europe many times. I have a 2010 V-USA spec and before I shipped it I put on P235/50R-17 Michelin Energy Sa tires at 50psi. I dropped a few mpg's but I'm OK with that. The stability improvement is much better then I expected. I have driven it at 200+ km/h in some areas but on average of 150 km/h and I never felt it unstable except for an occasional crosswind mush feel. Having said that I would agree with you to replace the sway bar and struts/springs to something better if you drive allot on those freeways and can afford it.

11. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I ve installed the Rude person's front and mid braces and the car is much more stable and much less torsion in the carbody.At the same time I also installed H&R lowering spings so I can t really tell which modification causes which part of the better handling.I prefered the trd springs but those are not available here in the Netherlands, so H&R is what i bought. The alignment after installing was easy. Only 1 number on each frontwheel was out of spec. They corrected this. All other numbers were still correct. Good job. I.m.o. the car is a little too low at the front and a little too high at the back. I think Eibachs are more comfy. The ride is firm and stable. Now i can drive easily 140 km/h and cross winds don t have as much impact. But surrely its still not a audi or volvo. The lowered prius looks great. Speed bumps are my new mortal enemy....and so is road damage...H&R is pretty rough.....and I m used too lowered cars...Imo eibach would be more comfy
    The back of the car is still a little loose. I think a swaybar from trd would be usefull...but again this is not available in Europe.
    Last week a did a highspeed test on the German autobahn, 180 km/h and i still notice the prius is not made for this at all. At 140 km/h it feels okay, higher speeds the prius doesnt like....so sometimes i miss my Volvo I had before. At least I ve installed the Valenti led taillights. That looks great but there s no rear foglight in it...which we have to have in Europe, so now i will have a problem with the annual-government-carcheck.......damn. I will mount a loose led foglight behind the rear window beneath the trunkspoiler.
    For so far my prius looks better, drives better, i m happy unless it is still not 100% perfect.

Mike500 likes this.
  12. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Wow, I can't imagine going 140k/hr on my prius, let alone 180! I think the max I've ever taken her was about 125km/hr.

Glad things are working out!

13. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any photos since lowering? How many mm is it supposed to be lowered on the h&r s?

14. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I ll post some pics later. It s supposed to lower 30mm in the front and 30mm at the back. But after installing it more like 40mm front and 30mm rear.

15. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  16. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Pic with the biggest gap is the rear. Pic with the smallest gap is the front.

Grren4ever likes this.
  17. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks very well

18. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Another pic from the side 20141108_165023_resized.jpg

Tony D likes this.
  19. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Today I saw a set 19inch AZEV P Classico, beautifull rims. 5x100 8,5 et 30-45 (choice), look at azev.de. They look like the plus performance rims but in 19 inch!!!I really really like those wheels, but I think I ve spentvenough money on my car......this year ;-)))))
    So maybe another priuschat member loves them too.
    Does anyone know if these do fit?
    2_Freistellen-tssoap_698650410-w512-h512-br0-698650410.png

20. John Speer

John Speer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I came a little late to this thread and personally since buying a 2014 with the Plus Performance Evolution option I am very disappointed with ride. It actually feels like you are riding in a buckboard with no suspension, it's just an extremely hard suspension. The car is really well balanced with the package and I've actually out cornered an older 328i Bimmer...............going down hill. I would be very interested in finding a lowering spring that would give a much nicer ride. This is my wife's car and I only get a chance to drive it on accession, but I think the look is fantastic. On another note, My driver is a 2014 TracPac Mustang and we just lowered it with Eibach SportLine springs, the ride is no different than the factory springs.
    I have seen a 2012 lowered Prius with 18" Azev-P wheels that looked really nice. I'm not sure I would care for the 19", but I'd like to see one with 19's before I made up my mind. The Azev-P wheels I saw were coated/painted about the same as the Prius which made it look pretty close to the stock TRD wheel.

Attached Files: