1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tread wear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hadone, Feb 15, 2013.

1. hadone

hadone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles should I expect to get out of a set of original tires. I have 33000 miles. Defenders have a $75.00 rebate now. Does it make sense to buy now and save the rebate money or wait.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    30k-50k is the average for a set of the OE Yokohama AVID S33D.

If you do not drive more than 15k a year I would suggest getting the Energy Saver A/S over the Defender. You'll get much better fuel economy. The Defender will last longer but if you don't drive enough then the tires will dry out long before they wear out. Dry tires are not safe tires.

The rebate is $70 on Michelin tires.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it was me I would change tires in the fall, the heat of summer would happen to the old tires and the great tread depth would be there for winter.

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMO, tire age is a huge consideration for tire replacement. Coupled with tire wear, it's of coarse, a no brainier. If the tires are more than 3 years old with moderate tire wear, replace them. You can also take advantage of good sale pricing at the same time.

5. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Yokohamas lasted about 33k miles. They should have lasted at least 40k.

I bought the Michelin Enegy Saver A/S tires. Best decision I ever made for my Prius. Not only does the car handle better, it has less road noise and I gained 1.8MPG with the new tires.

I have over 12k miles on the tires and they are great. Barely any treadwear. I expect to get at least 60k miles out of these tires.

6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its just me but I always by in the fall for the best winter driving. Just start looking early fall so you have some time to get a rebate before snow fall or ice. :)