1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Treatments for Clear Coat 2010 Prius Starting to Lose Integrity

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Johnrdl, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Johnrdl

Johnrdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, I probably know the answer to this question but I just wanted to see anyway. Basically I noticed last month after a car wash that on the right side and left side of the roof panel (just above the windshield on the driver and passenger side), that there was a light stain on my silver car. What it looks like is like small little cracks in the paint, almost like scratches. The pattern is like a snowflake or when you freeze something and get that icicle look. At first I thought it was paint oxidation. I guess I have been lazy in giving my car a good monthly wash or a wash every 3 weeks only because I don't feel like spending money on getting a car wash when there have been times that my car has been covered by ash a few days after due to fires or when there is rain in the forecast. Also, I guess there is a badge when owning a Prius such as that you are trying to be green and good for the environment. I have been known to soap down my car during a rain storm, which I have done on a few occasions. Anyway, I recently did my yearly oil change at the dealership, along with spending a pretty penny getting the brake fluid exchange, trans axle fluid exchange, and the engine coolant fluid exchange. I posted several times if it was necessary to do and I have been told that it is recommended because of the fact that my car is 10 years old despite having extremely low mileage. I asked the service adviser and they said that it wasn't paint oxidation but rather that the clear coat is coming off. They recommend that I look into a paint body shop so it doesn't get worse. I live in Orange County, California (Irvine - 92606) and wanted to know if anyone has any nearby recommendations. I know of a company in which they did a decent job on my mom's Camry rear bumper but didn't fully cover every part of the car so there was some paint transfer onto the hubcaps. Furthermore, I feel embarrassed but I covered the interior of my car with plastic sheet when I brought it to the dealership as well as washed my seat covers afterwards. I know I can take it to the extreme with my cleanliness of my car, but hopefully during these times, people can understand that I am not a huge fan of random other people inside my car as it is kind of my safe bubble.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I welcome any suggestions.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Touching up clear coat in one spot should not cost much. Just get a couple of quotes. You could diy but it sounds like you would want it nice.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Check with paint professionals.
    If you don't plan to keep it past a couple of more years.......which probably would be a good plan.......even the discount paint shops like Maaco usually do a remarkably good job, for the money.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could there be trapped water rusting it out from the inside? (n)